Doing a graph in the round

TestifyToLove

Question

Can this be done?

I want to make a pair of baby pants. I want to put a picture on just the bottom, and I don't want a seam in the pants anywhere, so definitely need to work in the round (no slip stitch chain 1 stuff).

I tried to do this. And, I had a mess. Discovered that when working in the round, the yarn is now on the opposite side of the piece from where I want it and it doesn't work.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm going to have to do the seam option. But, where then do I put the seam? If I put the seam precisely where I want to graph, I have a seam down the middle of the picture. If I put it on the front, it will look funny. And, if I try to put it on a hip, its going to look SUPER funny as its going to curve around to front or back.

What am I missing here? When I thought it out in my head, it didn't seem that difficult.

4 answers to this question

Maybe you need to distort your design to take into account that, when working in the round without turning, the stitches are not right on top of each other.

Check out any of the patterns on this site:

http://www.tapestrycrochet.com/

Notice that the graphs are skewed to match the stitches. If you had a vertical line on a regular graph, it would be 'tilted' in her graph and in the actual stitches. She has a link where you can download the special skewed graph paper.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Have you used stitch markers? Plot where you need the design to be, center it, and use your stitch markers to make sure you are at the design spot.

Also, place a stitch marker at the beginning of every round (keep moving it up as you do your rows), the key is to keep counting. If you need 50 stitches per round, then make sure you always have 50 stitches. It's tedious and time consuming, but sometimes, that's the only way to keep your design on track. There shouldn't be any spiraling if you count.

Hope I'm not telling you something you're already doing, just trying to help. Good luck! When your project is finished, take a picture, save your notes, and send it to a magazine. :yes

P.S. I like these markers, easy to take on and off and move if necessary:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=3109/181.0

:think The top of a crochet stitch is never where you think it should be.

When working in the round, without turning, the top of the stitch is always to the right of the actual stitch.

When working in rows, the top of the stitch appears to be to the left of the actual stitch.

If you work in rows, turning at the end of each row, you will get a much neater graph pattern.

You will read the first row from right to left and the second row from left to right...

You need to make sure the yarn is always at the back of the work and remember you need to change colours on the last movement of the stitch.

:think What about working the pants in a plain colour then making the design as a patch and stitching it on.

This way you will not get a seam in the patch but you can have a seam in the pants.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived