starting chain help

KellyA

Question

I am interested in starting a new ghan and don't want it as wide as the pattern calls for. :think How does one figure out the how many chains to start with. :think Normally I would just do a long chain and when I thought it was large enough I would stop, works sometimes - but this pattern doesn't start until row 6 - that would be alot of frogging :eek

The pattern ghan is a spike stitch pattern

Any ideas????

Thank you :manyheart

5 answers to this question

does your pattern say something like this...

6 stitches = 1 repeat of pattern

you will need a multiple of the number of stitches needed to form the pattern repeat. in the above, your chain would be a multiple of 6 {6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, etc.} + 1 for your turning chain.

The original pattern calls for 135 ch and the pattern is sc in first st, *sc in next sc, in the next 4 st you would do the spike stich ....start back at * at end of row sc in last stitch

Hope this is helpful

I have tried the mult of 6 plus one but when I divide I don't end with a round number:think

:cheer Start the pattern without the first 5 rows, just work into the CH.

When you have the width you want, count your stitches and that plus 1 will be the number you need to start with. Means you will then need to unravel and start again but may be quicker in the long run.

Or you could just carry on and add the SC border when you are done.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived