Question about yarn winder

I hope this is the right place for my question. I'm finally going to break down and buy a yarn winder. Since I've never had/used one could you ladies tell me your favorite one/least favorite one. I've seen a few but have no Idea where to start. Thanks in advance.

I just got mine and I love it. I got it on JoAnn.com. You just clamp it to the table and wind the yarn. It makes little cakes with the yarn that you can stack and store easier.

Sign up for their email/mailing list and wait to get a coupon for 50% or 40% off. I wouldn't pay full price for it, they are way to expensive.

I got a yarn winder in a thrift store a few months ago. I really like how it makes the yarn look when you stack those little yarn cakes in a cupboard. But once you start using the cakes they get a little squishy and start falling apart. I think that its just as well to wind the yarn in balls. Just my two cents worth.

I love my yarn winder!

I actually killed my first winder about a month or two ago. I knocked over the little table it was on, and it smashed off the handle. I had to wait about 3 weeks for the LYS to order me a new one. I'm being a lot more careful with the new one.

One thing I do different with my little yarn cakes, is that I dont use the center pull...I let it unwind from the outside. I dont like how the cake loses structural integrity when you use the center pull. Altho, you can always rewind the ball from the outside if you need to once the ball starts to collapse.

My yarn winder is the Royal brand...cost me about $50 at my local yarn store here in Omaha. http://www.stringofpurls.com/

• 1 month later...

Archived