Working from a Hank Question

mellowe67

Question

All of these years I have been crocheting and this is the first time I have ever bought yarn not wound in a skein!

So my question is, do I HAVE to wind them into balls first? I did wind the first one just to be safe, but I was wondering about hanging the open hank on a hook that is on the lamp beside my crochet recliner. Would I be able to work from it that way? Or would I end up with a big tangled mess?

If it matters I'm working with Classic Elite Flash (for the Sweet Pea Shawl).

Thanks for your help!

4 answers to this question

I've worked directly from hanks without winding into a ball by hanging it from the back of a chair. Without a ball, you have to frequently stop and unwind a length by hand. I've never figured out a way to hang a hank and not have to unwind it. But I've never tried it directly from just a hook.

Been there...done that...I found the best way was to just wind them into balls. Instead of investing in a $$$ swift, I found a chair in the living room to drape the skein around. Then I unwound the hank and rolled it into a ball. Needless to say, Franklin, my cat, was most facsinated with the whole process.

Archived