Bernat's haven yarn: wrap with sleeves

I went looking at yarn today and couldn't decide. What yarn have you picked for this?

I'm using Patons Pebbles that was on sale at JoAnn's for $1.97 a skein. I'm hoping it will work up ok in this pattern!

Kim

I have my yarn and my pattern but haven't started yet.:blush I got distracted by the new Lion Brand Car Coat pattern and couldn't decide which one to do. I just decided yesterday to make the Bernat pattern! :yes

Does it work up quickly? Any problems with the pattern?

Kim

Well, the first piece is just 21" of SC along the start chain of 40 which is incredibly boring but very straight forward and repetative (which is why this is my work project :lol can put it down and pick it up frequently around work). So, no problems yet.

Wish my yarn was white, but I'm just using the one I liked the best out of what was available.... River Blue.

(yarn I'm using) :

I am going to use some Red Heart Symphony... if I'm not mistaken, it's pretty similar to Haven yarn. Hobby Lobby has Symphony on sale right now for 99 cents. :yay Gonna pick some up after work tomorrow! Not sure what color yet 'til I see it, though. Need just 2+ skeins, so gotta buy 3, but hey, it's only 3 bucks.

Well, I'm at 15" now, and done for the day. :hook

Hi, I started mine yesterday. My original yarn didn't work well- too stiff and bulky and way too expensive so I am using Bernats chunky softee and so far I really like it. I am about 14 inches into the first piece. It is boring to do, but easy. Can't wait to get to the next part! Carey

I looked around in Joanne's today. I didn't find Havenly yarn or any good yarn substitute. Tomorrow, I will check for Bernet Chunky Softee and see if it's any good. I hope to find some kind of varigated, not pastel yarns. How many balls do you get, Windyknoll ?

I looked around in Joanne's today. I didn't find Havenly yarn or any good yarn substitute. Tomorrow, I will check for Bernet Chunky Softee and see if it's any good. I hope to find some kind of varigated, not pastel yarns. How many balls do you get, Windyknoll ?

I decided to buy 8 skeins just to be on the safe side. I think the Haven yarn in a #5 weight and so is the bernat softee. I also thought the Haven yarn was just too expensive! The cream color for the Bernat softee looks alot like the picture on the pattern when crocheted I think.

I had been waiting for more yarn to arrive to continue the wrap. I ordered from Joanne.com and it got here pretty quickly, so now I have to put down what I was working on to get going on the wrap. Has anyone else been working on it? Carey

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am doing the armhole shaping and it looks good so far, but the single crochet is tedious!! I'm using the Bernat Softee and I like it, but I'm wishing I had something a little bit less stiff. Oh well. I hope to have it done by the end of this week! How is everyone else doing?

I've got mine on the back burner right now because I just haven't found the right yarn...I've been hunting for a really great bargain on the right yarn on Ebay but no luck so far.

Do you like the pattern? (except for all the single crochets)...

Kim

I've got mine on the back burner right now because I just haven't found the right yarn...I've been hunting for a really great bargain on the right yarn on Ebay but no luck so far.

Do you like the pattern? (except for all the single crochets)...

Kim

Yea, I do. I'm making this one for my Mom, but I'm going to make one for me too. I was thinking that Caron's Simply soft might be a good yarn to use. It's not the same weight, but as long as your measurements line up, I can't see why you couldn't use it. I love Caron's Autumn Red.

Yea, I do. I'm making this one for my Mom, but I'm going to make one for me too. I was thinking that Caron's Simply soft might be a good yarn to use. It's not the same weight, but as long as your measurements line up, I can't see why you couldn't use it. I love Caron's Autumn Red.

The Simply Soft comes in gorgeous colors....that's a good suggestion! I really wanted a yarn that is soft and drapes well but it seems like the bulky weight yarns that I've tried become 'stiff' when they are done in the single crochet.

Thanks!

Kim

Well, I am giving up!! I spent the last several nights and naptimes working on the wrap, making a it a size larger than what I thought my mom would need (going by bust measurement). I was almost ready to make the sleeves and I had my mom "try it on" to see how the armholes and back would be for her and they were WAY too small and it was too short. I know I could redo it and adjust but I just don't have the time to do it. I should say that the measurements lined up with what it said would be the finished measurements. I'm going to come back to it after the holidays, but for now I am moving on to the Christmas dress for my 1 yr. old. Very frustrating!!

Bleh... I'm at a standstill with mine right now, despite how quickly I got started. I messed something up not paying attention and crocheting at work while talking, now the Symphony is just about impossble to rip out. Trying to decide if I should just leave it messed up and fix it when I go to add the sleeves. But I'm working on a birthday gift + a comfortghan that I can work on at work right now, so this project is now on my backburner since I lost momentum on it, and need the time for my other stuff. ;/

Archived