Copyrights

I have a question.. possibly a debate.. if you see something you like, for instance you might remember a certain popstar who had a crochet shawl, and decide to try your hand at replicating it. is that considered copyright infringment even though you didn't the exact pattern that was used.

I have a question.. possibly a debate.. if you see something you like, for instance you might remember a certain popstar who had a crochet shawl, and decide to try your hand at replicating it. is that considered copyright infringment even though you didn't the exact pattern that was used.

Shelly, first, we don't debate copyright issues here. :) We do our best to provide information, but we always recommend someone contact an intellectual property attorney if they need actual legal advice.

Now, from what I understand of copyright law (from reading the US Copyright Office website and from speaking with Crochetville's attorney), what you are talking about is not copyright infringement.

You are using the garment as inspiration, from a photograph or something. You are not using a published pattern. You are not sitting down with the actual garment and attempting to duplicate it exactly. (In which case there MIGHT be infringement if there is a written pattern published for the garment somewhere.)

If you just want to make a garment like this for your own personal use, there shouldn't be any problem at all. If you want to duplicate a garment and sell your patterns, I would still recommend you seek the advice of an intellectual property attorney before doing so.

Nobody here is able to give you actual legal advice. You would need to contact an intellectual property attorney licensed to practice in your state for that. :)

i'm trying to make the crochet dress that Felicity Shagwell wore in Austin Powers II. I highly doubt that it will be exact.

That should be a quick project... not too much to that dress :rofl

You cannot copyright ideas, so no, what you're talking about wouldn't infringe upon anything. (Note the absolute flurry of "coming home" ponchos when Martha Stewart got out of prison.)

Archived