Very new to patterns...please help.

digee

Question

Hello everyone!! I am new to this forum and to using patterns. I found a pattern that I really wanted to do, but it seems that its really hard. I've tried to use pattern how to's, but still can't figure this one out. Here is the first line:

ch 6, sc 2 from hook, sc 3, sc 3 in 1, sc 3 on opposite side of ch, sc 2 in 1, sl st to cr

Some of it I can understand, but when it gets to sc 3 in 1, sc 3 on opposite side of ch......I get lost.

Please help. Thank you in advance!!

13 answers to this question

sc3 in 1 means to put 3 sc in the next stitch.

sc 3 on opposite side of ch is a little harder to explain. it means to sc 3 times on the other side of the chain. for example if you place the chain horizontally you would have your fist stitches on the top and the last 3 on the bottom.

Hope that makes sence.

but when it gets to sc 3 in 1, sc 3 on opposite side of ch......I get lost.

I think that means 3 single crochets in one of the chain spaces then 3 single crochets when you turn your work around and work on the other side of the chain :think I guess that is the good as I can help without knowing what the pattern is that you are making :blush

It sounds like y ou are making something like a baby bootie. You will work a row of stitches on the foundation chain as usual, but then at the end y ou will turn and work back on the opposite side of the chain, in the lps that were unused when you worked the first sts.

Try it this way.

Ch 6.

Work an sc in the 2nd ch from the hook, sc in each of the next 3 chs.

Now you have reached the last chain, and work 3 sc in that chain. That helps you turn the work around to work on the opposite side of the chain.

Now working in the unused lps of the chain, sc in each of the first 3

chs, work 2 sc in the next ch, join with a sl st in the first sc.

I hope this helps.

It's a tricky technique, hard to explain in words.

Jean L.

Here is the project that I'm doing:

sushi1.jpg

My husband is a sushi chef, and I wanted to make him something to put on his case. I guess it was a really difficult pattern for such a newbie.

The pattern I'm working on right now is for the white bottoms on the right side. And I just starting working on it, so I hope that I can do the rest.

I really appreciate all the help, and I think I have a better understanding of it. I'm sure I will need more help in the future. Thank you all very much!!

Here is the end of the line that I'm having a problem with: sl st to cr (close round). I understand the slip stitch part, but having trouble the the close round. Is there something special I should do? Please help.

Thank you!!

"close round" would be just to do your slip stitch in the top of the first stitch you made as the last stitch of this round (you are working in rounds instead of rows). On a typical pattern, your next round would start with a chain 1 (or maybe chain 2 or 3) to get you up to to the height for your next row.

hope you are strating to better understand the pattern (although I have never heard of some of the terminology in it, if I did, I would have a problem with it too). I love it, little sushi pieces! Soooo cute! My girlfriend would love it!

The pattern is very hard (specially since it was my first time using patterns), but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I think it was translated from Japanese to English, or something. Must be, thats why its so crazy. haha. Well I made my first piece today. Its the one in the top left corner of the picture.

I still have a long way to go. But I would really like to thank everyone for all their help!!

Archived