Help with changing colors

acraftylady

Question

On the N hook ripple I did a women from my church group had me overhand knot the tails at the end of the row when changing colors and then weave them in later. I would really like to learn how to do it the right way now with no knots.

I understand at the end of a row to crochet up to the the last stitch and then start the last stitch and just before finishing pick up the new color and finish the stitch. Then cut the old color and ch and turn and then crochet over the tails.

Ok so if I am working with a G hook doing DC side by side this is fine. Started a new afghan that calls for two strands with a P hook. It's the peachy afghan on page 42 of leisure arts afghans on the double.

The first color change looks good because after the change the next row was just DC across so it was easy to cover the tails so they stay put. Then on the last DC I worked up until just before the finish of the stitch and held the new color up to the hook and finished the DC.

Now when I ch and turn I have to skip next DC and V-stitch in next DC then (skip next 2 DC and V-stitch in next DC) repeating that and it's hard to cover the tails snuggly.

What does every one else do or what should I be doing so I can learn this better? I like working with P and Q hooks a lot and if I can just get this down I will be good to go with this size hook. Mary!

3 answers to this question

with open patterns I just prefer to weave them in carefully when I am done.

I work them through the solid parts of stitches one way and then back again. I have never had any success with hiding tails in openwork unless I do it this way.

Ok so then after I ch and turn just leave the tails hanging and weave them in later back and forth and don't try to crochet over them. I will try that and see how it works, thanks.

I also came across this and found it interesting, have you every tried it? I think I will test it out and see how it works. Mary

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/happyghan/russian.html

The Russian join works very nicely and is quite strong. But it can sometimes be a bit bulky. I will sometimes separate the plies of the yarn when the fold-over will be and snip half of them away, then weave back into the full strand. This cuts down on the bulk and it's still a great join.

Archived