quiz about granny square/color

DameErin

Question

Do you remember when I was going to try to do the medallion blanket in the last Crochet Today? Well, I can't get the medallions to join correctly, so to avoid getting myself all stirred up, I decided to try something else. I found this pattern in one of my books, and it used about the same amount of yarn.

Without further ado, here is what one square looks like:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/DameErin/Vickysgift006.jpg

My question is, what do you think about it? I can't make up my mind. I don't think I really like it at all. It didn't turn out the way that I wanted it to. I thought the pink would draw out the pink in the sand camo a little more. My coworkers are about evenly split on it.

In case you can't tell, the middle is Bernat tan camo yarn. the pink is Moda Dea pink dream and the outside is Bernat desert sand camo. I only need to make 39 more and join them all together.

Don't be shy, just step right on up and tell me what you think. If anyone has any better ideas, I'm currently accepting same.

:eek

5 answers to this question

Well if you don't like it, it doesn't matter what we say!

Personally I *do* like it but I wouldn't use pink in an afghan for myself ... but it's great for a gift for someone who does like that color.

That medallions pattern is to die for and I'd keep trying till I got it right!

It is a pretty square as you have done it but it doesn't have a big Punch to it.

I think if you want it to 'pop' the pink in the camo, you need a much stronger pink in the pink part. Now, I may not be the best judge of that because that pink looks pale and almost into the lavender/lilac area.

I think the grayed out parts of the yarn are taking over and that is what you are 'not' responding to. It is also possible that the grayed parts are draining the colour from your pink.

This is one of those afghans that could look like nothing until it is finished. It is like the LBD on the hanger, you can't see the dazzle.

Remember, you said don't be shy: My first response: if you don't just "love" it, why waste the time. My second responds is "icky" I don't care for camo yarn in real camo colors and I have never understood the appeal of pink camo yarn.The only shades of pink I even like are the darker more intense pinks, not the paler shades of the color.

No, I trust some of y'all's opinions better than mine. I like "strange" mixes of colors, for some reason, and hardly ever buy the exact yarn I'm supposed to have, because I do enjoy trying new mixes of color. The pattern called for all Moda Dea yarn, but I found the Bernat camo and thought that it might make a very nice mix with the Moda Dea Dream. I think I remember looking at the desert sand and seeing a pinkish-mauve and thought that the pink Dream would bring that out, but it seems that there's not as much mauve in the camo as you would think by just looking at the skein.

I feel like I'm making excuses, but I work in a large university bookstore in AL. In approximately four weeks, I will be working six days a week for a while, and then Christmas will be here. We'll be busy getting out mail orders. I think it will be better for my nerves during this time, if I defer to "non-challenging" patterns, rather than something that I try to do and can't get it to work. I like to crochet because it does relieve my stress, but I don't need the crochet to add to it, if that makes any sense.

I'll try again on the medallion pattern, but it might be better for me to wait until February, when the whole football/Christmas/returns season is over for me.

:devil

Archived