Help on Backing

sandra_lee

Question

I am making a cross-stitch on a afghan stitch baby blanket for my grand neice or nephew. I got very frustrated on trying not to show the stitches in the back and I went ahead and poked all the way threw.

Can anyone recommend a good backing now that I can cover up my mess of stitches on the back?

Thank you in advance!!!

4 answers to this question

It's pretty easy to just cover up the back by adding another layer. Pick a fabric that coordinates with the "front", make sure you prewash so you don't end up with a shrinkage problem. Take the time to weave in loose ends securely;once you have the back on you won't have access anymore. Lay the fabric over the WS-seam 2 pieces if you need the width- Pin (use LARGE PINS with large ball tops so you can really see them-you don't want to mistakenly leave one in)in the center, smooth fabric over and pin arnd the edges, turn edges under about 1/2" and sew to back with as invisible an overhand stitch as you can do.

On the front, it's easy to take a cross from part of your stitched pattern at regular intervals and using same colored embroidery floss (all 6 strands), make crosses that go from front through the back and tie in a square knot twice- the way old fashioned tied quilt blocks were done. The embroidery floss will be colorfast and HOLD. An acrylic yarn will eventually slip no matter how tight you tie your knot.

This sounds more complicated than it is. It can be a pain to get it all smoothed down, but Patience is a Virtue!

Hope this helped!

i've not done it but my choice would probably be polar fleece. it doesn't need hemming and is also nice and snuggly!

Archived