Pink Ripple #16 in 200 Ripple Stitch Patterns - Eaton

jess315

Question

Hello,

I am trying to make a small sampler section of the "Pink Ripple" #16 in 200 Ripple Stitch Patterns - Jan Eaton, page 23

First of all, the multiple of 17 does not accommodate the amount of stitches in a minimum repeat of Row 1. It is more like 34, I find. Am I wrong?

Secondly, I am trying to graph it out, and find I do not have the last 4 sc's left at the end of row 2.

Has anyone tried this pattern out? Thanks for any input!

-J

14 answers to this question

since no one else as replied... I will do my best to help. However I don't have my book with me today, it's at my shop. So I'll look at the pattern tomorrow at work and then come back and try to help.

Perhaps your trying to do 2 repeats, thus needing the 34 instead of just 17? I have not done this pattern, but will work on it a bit tomorrow and see if I can help.

thanks for the reply! (i know this book is popular but i guess everyone is busy with other projects :) )

Here is the foundation chain and row 1 (there are 4 row instructions given, with rows 3 & 4 being the repeat)

FOUNDATION CHAIN: multiple of 17 chains plus 2.

ROW 1: 2 dc into 3rd ch from hook, 2 dc into each of next 2 chs, [sk next ch, 1 dc into next ch] five times, * sk next ch, 2 dc into each of next 6 chs, [sk next ch, 1 dc into next ch] five times; rep from * to last 4 chs, sk next ch, 2 dc into each of last 3 chs, turn.

I am no expert for help but I am into ripples lately so thought I would give it a try. I did a sample swatch with a ch 63 and did the first row the way you wrote it and it came out perfect with 4 stitches left but maybe I don't understand the problem in the pattern. Mary

thank you for replying, craftylady. i will retry this soon, but what i orginally questioned was that the MINIMUM did not allow enough for one full repeat of row one. Meaning, I chained 17 + 2 and there was not enough chains to do what the repeat said to do...did you try it this way?

Actually I goofed and it was 63 I chained not 53. If you look at the pattern you wrote there are more than 17+2 stitches so you will need more than that for your sample swatch.

I usually count it through with one repeat and that's how many I chain for my sample swatch. That gives me a good idea if I can do the pattern and if I like it. Counting the stitches out with one repeat I got 63 so that's why I chained that many to try it. Mary!

aaaha! :) you sound like a smartie to me in the way that you approach it.

in all of my quest for crocheting knowledge, I have never come across that fact! that IS weird. but if you have noticed it in the ripple pattern multiples given, then i believe you.

as far as the book, did you buy it yet? I really love it as a source of COLOR inspiration.

thanks so very much for your answer!

-J

:cheer I have just tried this pattern on 36 stitches (2 X 17 + 2 = 36) and I managed to get it to work perfectly.

I have even worked the second row without problem.

It is more of a Wave than a ripple with the increases and decreaseds being done over more stitches.

If you have a problem with the number of CH you need, just make a long chain and work your pattern along as many chain as you need, then make sure you complete the end of the row as instructed.

The left over chain can be removed later. (Cut off all but about 6CH, then carefully unpick the last few back to the edge of your work.)

You just need to keep a good watch on your stitches as you do the foundation row, onto the chain.

Saves a lot of stress.

Let me know if you need more help.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

ah, well, I have had no problems ordering from other BOOK vendors through amazon (i did have a problem with a non-book 3rd party vendor). the current low price is $12.46 today. Seems to be many knitter's reviews on there complaining about bad errors...the book is half knit, half crochet (but i still look at the knit ones for color sequencing ideas).

thanks for the input, Colleen! i must have messed up some how when i tried 17*2+2 and wound up 4 short. will retry

If I can't find a book at the craft store using a 40% coupon then I buy used from e-bay and most time get them for under $10 with shipping. I don't care if it's not new as long as it's in decent shape. It's going to get lugged around in my tote anyway so won't be kept perfect. I just checked our library site and the main one downtown has it but it's checked out. Think I will put an order in for it at the local branch. Mary

I ordered this from the Library and it was in yesterday so ran up and got it. I love this book and that pink ripple is so easy. I tried swatches of several patterns last night and love them all. The patterns are written so clearly and easy to understand, much better for me. If the crochet enclyopedia did it this way it would be so much better. Mary

Archived