Ending a row

LeslieA

Question

Ok so I have this dishcloth started, the stitches are first row is sc seconde row is hdc, and repeat....when I come to the last stitch do I need to extend down in to the stitch from the previous row, like when you have a dc? because as I look at my square which is actually not a square lol the sides are angling in.....I am obviously missing the stitches on the end?

3 answers to this question

You have fewer stitches in your last row, right, and it's not your gauge getting tighter?

When you do a row of sc, the chain-1 turning chain does not get crocheted into at the end of the following row. After turning, you crochet into the FIRST stitch and continue to the last stitch, you should have the same number of stitches and ignore the ch-1.

Likewise for hdc, except the turning chain is usually ch-2.

DC is different, because the chain-3 turning actually becomes a stitch, and after turning you crochet into the SECOND DC of the previous row because your ch-3 becomes the first DC. At the end of the row, your last DC will be in the top of the turning chain from the row below.

I am wondering, if you are losing stitches, are you "thinking like DC" and skipping the first stitch after you turn?

I have been crocheting for a LONG time and I still count my stitches a lot as I go, especially in rounds.

Check out this site, under basic stitches. There are very clear photos which show where the first and last stitches go.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/index.htm

Ok so I have this dishcloth started, the stitches are first row is sc seconde row is hdc, and repeat....when I come to the last stitch do I need to extend down in to the stitch from the previous row, like when you have a dc? because as I look at my square which is actually not a square lol the sides are angling in.....I am obviously missing the stitches on the end?

Especially since you are using sc and hdc I would recommend that (when you go to the new row) you do a ch 1 but work your sc or hdc into the first stitch. This works for the shorter stitches and they are easier to see and to count. Just co-incidentally, I always count when I do shorter rows as for dishcloths or whatever. Just helps to keep you honest :wlol

ok I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong, upon looking at my piece one side was straight the other angled, I am pretty sure I was skipping the first stitch from hook and going into the second on my hdc's.... anyways I have frogged it and am starting over...no problem..practice makes perfect right? I'll let you know how I go on the 'revised' one... lol

Archived