Rainbow Round Ripple..HELP ASAP

andersonsrus

Question

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29245&highlight=ROUND+RAINBOW+RIPPLE+STAR

This is what I finally decided on. It calls for a H hook and 6 rows red, 5 rows of each color and 1 row of white.

Since I crochet on the tighter side I thought I would use a I hook.

Well I am at round 13 and it is 18 inches across. Given that it will be some 50 some inches when done. Too big for a Baby . If I go doen to a H as called for the sample I did didn't lay flat.

WHAT TO DO?????

I have to get this done by next week

16 answers to this question

:cheer The size of the afghan will always depend on the thickness of the yarn.

With a Round Ripple, you MUST do the row with the Small Shell (V Stitch) every third row or you will end up with a frilly edge.

This row stops the afghan getting too big too quick.

You should be able to use the pattern with any yarn as long as you use the correct hook for that yarn or whatever you need to use to get a nice feel to the fabric.

I always use a 4mm hook and DK (8ply) yarn because you can do more rows of each colour before it gets too big and it makes a nice finished item.

I usually recommend that you use the pattern for the stitches only and add you own colour scheme.

After the first few rows, you need to just keep an eye on where you are doing the point, where you are doing the SK stitches and if you are on a row with a large shell or a small one.

When making a rainbow, remember there are 7 colours so if you start off with 6 rows of each colour, you will have at least 42 rows to get all of the colours in.

If this is going to work out too big, put less rows of each colour at the beginning.

If it does not come out big enough, I usually add one row of each colour as a border.

I think that what you are doing is looking at the pattern and not at your actual work. If you look at your work, you will see exactly what you need to do next without trying to read the pattern as well.

On the pattern I wrote, I worked up to row 6 then repeated rows 4, 5 & 6 because they are 2 rows of large shell and one row of small (V stitch). This is all you need to form the pattern.

You need to remember that row 7 is the same as row 4 but with extra DCs in each side of the point, row 8 is the same as row 5 and has a V stitch so the number of DCs stays the same as the last row. Row 9 is row 6. Keep this going, row 10 is row 4 row 11 is row 5 row 12 is row 6.........The only difference is the number of DCs after the 2 increase rows.

Rows 1 to 3 are never repeated because they are just there to start and set up the ripples.

Now, I think I have said too much and probably made things worse rather than better.

Remember, this information is about my pattern so others may vary but the principal is the same.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Simply soft

The pattern goes like this

6 rows red

1 row white

5 rows orange

1 row white

5 rows yellow

1 row white

5 rows green

1 row white

5 row blue

1 row white

5 rows purple

1 row white

If I use the I hook it may be to big 13 ros are at 18" but it does lay flat.

Any Sugg. of what to do

After working the row with the 1dc, ch1, 1dc, continue on working 2 rows with 2dc, ch2, 2dc then 1 row working 1dc, ch2, 1dc. Dc in each dc across remembering to skip the 2 dc in the valley (low point). Do this for the rest of the blanket.

Or you could blow the pattern right out the window and just do a (2dc, ch2, 2dc) shell on each point every row.

It comes out even - I promise.

I've tried that and can't get mine to lay flat even after pulling on the tips. How do you get yours to lay flat without doing the smaller shells?

First, I'd try it on row 6. Do rows 1-5 the way the pattern says. Then in row 6, do 1dc, ch2, 1dc in the ch2 spaces instead of the 2dc.

Row 7 would be 2dc, ch2, 2dc in ch2 space then dc in next 2 stitches instead of 3 stitches. Does that make any sense?

Another thing you could try is to do the small shell on the 6th or even the 5th round instead of waiting for the 7th. I crochet tightly, too. I've made several round ripples and if my memory works, I had to do that a few times. Best of luck.

Archived