Bands of Beads totebag...question

Swerbie

Question

I'm really hoping someone can reassure me with this project!!! I pulled out an old WIP (for Mom's vacation in a few weeks)...and it is my first totebag. I'm getting concerned that I'm on row 26 and it really is not looking like a totebag....it looks more like a giant beaded flying saucer!!

I did alter it a bit....changed row 23 & 24 to dc instead of hdc (cause I like the look better with dc)...everything else I've followed the pattern to the T.

Here's the pattern I'm using:

http://www.snugglesproject.org/patterns/crochet/bands-of-beads-totebag.html

And here's my WIP:

?action=view&current=Momstote.jpg

Will it start to look more like a tote as I continue...or do you think I've messed up somewhere?? :think

5 answers to this question

Are you absolutely certain you quit increasing after row 15? I've never made this bag, but it seems to me that if you've been working even for 10 rows it ought to be going up by now. Check your gauge and make sure you're not getting bigger stitches. You may have to frog a few rows and go to a smaller hook if you can't figure anything else.

You should be working even on 108 stitches (including chains) after row 15, as newthingcrochet says. I copied your pic so I could blow it up to try to count the stitches, I only got part way around but you must have a lot more than that. Sorry I can't reassure you...

It's a pretty pattern, it's worth it to frog a few rows. Look at it this way, it will work up quicker with fewer stitches around!!:lol

If you stopped increasing every row, then the sides should be forming and it should no longer resemble a " flying saucer". I would rip it out to the last increase row that forms the bottom, mark this stitch, and then count, count, count at least every other row to make sure you are working even and not adding stitches. Counting seems to be a real pain, but it is the best way to make sure you are doing the correct number of stitches and it saves time and trouble in the long run.

Also - in row 20, this is your row that should start your sides and the first row with beads, you are supposed to skip every other stitch so that you end up with only 54 stitches in that row. Then you work even in 54 stitches until you get up to where you do the shaping for the handles.

Thanks for everyone's help! :hug

I think I've figured it out. I just frogged down to row 15 and started fresh from there....it looks much better now! I had somehow added 4 rows of increases after row 15. :blush That'll teach me to work on something like this and watch tv at the same time!

Archived