I have been trying to teach my 10 year old how to crochet for the last 3 years but she complains that she will never figure it out even though she really wants to know how. I have showed her both ways of holding the hook ( knife and pencil ) and she still gets frustrated.....

What else can I do?

Thanks

Heidi

What is it that she's having a hard time with?

I recall as a very young child making chains upon chains upon chains. I never actually tried to do anything other than chain until about 2 years ago...I'm 32.

I think I had the basis of how to hold the hook that was most comfortable to me, as well as the concept that crochet is a series of pulled loops.

She sounds like me, when I was her age. Just be patient with her and when she is in the mood to pick up the hook and start chaining, just give her lots of support and encouragement. My mom gave up on teaching me, so I learned on my own, but I never gave up. Tell her it will take a little time to get used to holding the hook and tell her it's okay to hold it in any way that she feels comfortable. Then with a little practice, she will learn how to make the starting chains, before going on to learning the sc and dc, etc. If she really wants to learn, she will. Maybe some pictures in the "learn to crochet" books will help her see how it is done, by doing one step at a time. Boy, I wish I were there, I'd get her crocheting in no time, LOL. Tell her it's okay to get frustrated with it at times, because we all do, when we get stuck on a pattern or a bad skein of yarn. Don't worry too much, because if she has the will to learn......she will, just keep complimenting her on her progress and encourage her to keep at it.

A way to get a little one to learn crocheting that worked for me was to get my daughter first involved in the start ie. choosing the yarn etc. I also found a big hook was a plus too. It's discouraging usually because they can't see an immediate result so I suggest starting off a piece, say 5 rows, then getting her to continue on. It's much easier to see what she will be doing. You can worry about teaching her to start once she has the hang of just stitching. Hope this helps:hook

Ditto to all of the above, plus...maybe if she had a some specific motivation to make a simple, tiny project that would appeal to a 10-year-old. (Potholders and scarves - yawn.) A rectangular stole for Barbie? A wrist or hair band? Scrunchie?

Archived