Size 8 pearl cotton vs. Size 10 crochet thread

Lady of Shalott

Question

How does size 10 crochet thread differ from size #8 Pearl Cotton? And can you use it for similar sized projects? Does anyone have experience using the size 8 pearl cotton?

4 answers to this question

I have never used it, but I imagine the gauge should be very similar to size 10.

Some doily patterns give sizes based on different threads used. Here's an example of a doily with 90+ rows: http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/SandwichDoily.html

So, if the difference in doily size between #20 thread and #10 is about 5%, the difference between #8 and #10 should be only about 1% or so.

I guess, when in doubt, try a swatch.

I believe the numbering system for perle cotton is different than for crochet thread. I found this reference wheatcarr.com/crochet/crochet-thread-size-information.php

I have been searching around the internet for different things to crochet with and have been reminded that there are also different kinds of perle cotton, and other numbering systems for perle cotton used in weaving, like 3/2, and wraps per inch. I don't understand all that...there is a lot to learn in the world of fiber.

Size 8 pearl cotton is a bit smaller than size 10 crochet cotton and size 5 pearl cotton is a bit larger than size 10 crochet cotton. I do like to use pearl cotton when I'm making something that uses several colors and the gauge doesn't matter, like bookmarks or doilies. :yes

Archived