"I tried to learn how to crochet once, but..."

It seems like half of the new people I meet tried to learn to crochet once and their beginner project went wrong and they gave up. What do you say to them?

I usually say they added or lost a stitch somewhere and stress that it's a common beginner's mistake. I am actually thinking of teaching for a LYS and would love to give some free lessons for practice. I wouldn't want to weird out someone that I don't know well, though.

:) A good thing to say to a discouraged begginner is to look on the bright side and practice. Crochet is much more forgiving to a small mistake than knitting. I taught myself to crochet at the age of 9 and found that a holey blanket was the easiest to learn. ie granny square as if I missed a stitch even though I'd eventually see it It didn't matter to the overall blanket.

Kristie

I'd say once they get the hang of it, they will find they are addicted! I would also encourage them with the story of me....I could chain, I couldn't get the hang of sc or dc....however, when my "teacher" was just at the end of her rope (and believe me, I soooo wanted to learn)....she said okay, lets try this, and she chained 5 sc's, so did I, she joined them, so did I, and then began dcs and chains working into a grannie square. I followed her stitch after stitch, and I was so happy I was able to "get it"....so straight crochet seemed harder for me, but once I got that granny square down, something CLICKED and I got it all. Also, crochet goes quickly, so not a wealth of time has to be invested in first learning how...and it is easy to frog something small...like a potholder or the startings of a scarf.

Tell them what I'm telling myself these days as I learn to crochet: Every project is a "learning loaf." Just as one would not expect to crank out perfect bread the first few times one tries, neither should we expect to pick up hook and yarn and expect to make perfect creations right from the start. I'm making dishcloths, practicing stitches and working on straight edges. So they aren't perfect? They still wash dishes like a charm and I'm having fun learning, so they aren't a total loss. Someday I might be able to make those lovely socks,afghans,bags, and other neat projects you 'big crocheters' do, but til then, I'll keep practicing!

Thanks for replies - some good points here. Actually that reminds me of my own setback. A few months ago when I got back into crocheting, I bought a booklet of dischloth patterns and couldn't make heads or tails of it. I had to switch to cat toys.

Archived