pattern testing

paperflowers

Question

I'm thinking about becoming a contract pattern tester. I'm really excited about it and about 95% sure I want to do this.

My biggest concern is I won't have as much time to work on my own projects. I literally crochet every spare minute I have - lunch break, in the car (carpool), on the exercise bike. Still, I feel like I only have time for about a tenth of the projects I want to try. I have stacks and stacks of patterns with the yarn already bought. I've only been doing this for six months, so maybe this is because I'm new? Maybe in time I'll work through the queue anyway?

6 answers to this question

Most designers have fairly strict deadlines for their pattern testing. So if you don't have much time, it wouldn't be a good idea to become a tester.

You don't want to get a bad reputation for not completing promised projects.

I would be interested in being a tester but only for thread projects, not yarn....how DO you go about this, I do test for some one here, is that what you are talking about??

There are quite a few designers right here on Crochetville who want testers. It's a matter of being online at the right time and offering your help before the testing is closed.

But it's important to complete the project in the time period needed so the designer can go forward with selling the pattern to the general public.

I've tested some patterns and it was a lot of fun. Only once or twice was I not able to follow through on the commitment and it made me pretty uncomfortable.

I would be interested in being a tester but only for thread projects, not yarn....how DO you go about this, I do test for some one here, is that what you are talking about??

Would you be interested in testing baby clothes done in thread? If so I'll keep you in mind. You can check my blog and see what I've done. I don't have any patterns written at the moment but hope to someday!

Archived