It's me again, with another Scarf question!!

windyknollfarm

Question

Hi, I was so fortunate to have several of you help me on the scarf pattern I am working on (see "help with scarf pattern please" thread.). I have a new question. I want to make a smaller child version of the scarf with Bernat's denimstyle (weight #4). The corrected version of the pattern calls for chaining 187 which determines the length. What would I chain to make it for a child, allowing for the same amount of rows? I'm not sure how to figure this out. Any one want to take a look at the pattern (see earlier thread) and see what I would change to make this for a child? Thanks so much!!!! Carey

6 answers to this question

Assuming that your gauge will remain the same (???)

...Then use that to determine how big you want the child version to be

on my version one block is about 6.5 inches and uses 13 blocks. It comes out to 84.5 inches.

start from your gauge or a rough guess. Lets say that your block is only 5.5 inches and you want a scarf about 54 inches long.. Making 10 blocks would get you there. ( within reason)

The math from the first pattern says that you need 14 st/block and 10 blocks would mean 140 stitches. You then need to add the extra 3 stitches for starting and ending and 2 more for the turning chain/dc

so you will want (14 X N) + 5

Will you be making this two levels high as in the original pattern or just the single level of blocks. ( I find it to be very wide with the two but to each his own I guess.)

Assuming that your gauge will remain the same (???)

...Then use that to determine how big you want the child version to be

on my version one block is about 6.5 inches and uses 13 blocks. It comes out to 84.5 inches.

start from your gauge or a rough guess. Lets say that your block is only 5.5 inches and you want a scarf about 54 inches long.. Making 10 blocks would get you there. ( within reason)

The math from the first pattern says that you need 14 st/block and 10 blocks would mean 140 stitches. You then need to add the extra 3 stitches for starting and ending and 2 more for the turning chain/dc

so you will want (14 X N) + 5

Will you be making this two levels high as in the original pattern or just the single level of blocks. ( I find it to be very wide with the two but to each his own I guess.)

Hi Darski! I will be making it only 1 level high. I agree, its too wide otherwise. The yarn I am using is about the same in gauge. So I chain 140? Man, are you good with numbers! I'm having a brain freeze! Carey

Hi Darski! I will be making it only 1 level high. I agree, its too wide otherwise. The yarn I am using is about the same in gauge. So I chain 140? Man, are you good with numbers! I'm having a brain freeze! Carey

No , you would need to chain 145 to get 10 "blocks". Each block needs 14 stitches but you have those extras to consider

No , you would need to chain 145 to get 10 "blocks". Each block needs 14 stitches but you have those extras to consider

Sorry, I'm confused. If I want to do 10 blocks, what is the total chains in the foundation chain?

Like Darski said, it would be 143 for the actual foundation ch, plus 2 more for the turning ch that becomes the first dc on row 2, making 145 total. So to break it down, ch 140 to get 10 blocks, plus 3 for the extra stitches at the end, plus 2 for turning ch, (145 ch) then dc in 4th ch from hook like the pattern says.

Archived