a lil show n tell and HELP!! please...

Shell

Last night I was so frustrated with the little wrap top I have been knitting that I remembered a link a friend from Crochetville gave me for roses, knitted roses . So why not I thought? I had some cottontots left over from crocheting my girl a top but I just couldn't get the kfb stitch! Thank goodness for the help here or I never woud have got it at all, but for whatever reason I couldn't do it with yarn. Bored and lil else to do I tried in thread and wouldn't you know it, did it!! So here is my mini knitted rose which I really like. I haven't done anything with the ends as I don't know what I will do with it for now. It will likely find a home adorning something as a broach. Knitted with size 10 Aunt Lydias thread and 2mm needles it sure was tough! (Needles in US size 0 - UK size 14)

th_DSC02526.jpg th_DSC02527.jpg

For a week or so now I have been knitting a really cute lil wrap top for my girl. The pattern is from a 1980'2 collector series "Get Knitting" and its largest size is 9mths. But instead of using baby yarn and 4mm (US 6/UK 8) needles I am using 6mm (US 10/UK 4) needles and Bernat Cottontots.

th_DSC02532.jpg th_DSC02534.jpg

It was coming along nicely until I had to decrease 3 at either end and then I couldn't line the eyelets up again! I tried and tried and frogged it so many times I was starting to damage the yarn so just continued in stocking stitch for the remainder which I think looks fine. Only now for the front it tells me how to do 1 row of the lace but not the following row so I can't even figure out how to do that :( It's basically a 12 row repeat but the front piece only gives me 1 row then leaves me to "continue in pattern stitch" which is soooo not helpful for a beginner). I also think I am going to have trouble with the decreasing slope as what I am reading makes lil sense. I think I am just really too frustrated with it at the moment. I would so desperately like some help!! I don't know how much of the pattern I can post but I know the lace repeat will be ok, but how will I put is in context? There is a "picot" border on the bottom and that's what all those eyelets in a line are for, not part of the lace pattern.

eyelet row is a repeat of: k2tog, yfwd, k1, yfwd, k2tog tbl, k3

then a plain purl

then a row of : k2tog, yfwd, k6

so, for the back row 1 jumped straight into the k2tog repeat and the 7th row where you repeat these rows but stagger the eyelets started with k4 then the lace repeat.

for the front row 1 k1 then the repeat starts but tells me to work in lace stitch but I can't even get that to work as when I get to row 3 I dont know how many to knit before doing the repeat, let alone rows 7+9 where it is the staggered eyelets :cry

I have no idea if I make sense or if I have given enough info but my daughter so badly wants me to finish this (and longsleeved too mind :think ) so I just hope someone out there can help! THANK YOU!

thanks Lis, I like them too! crochet ones are much much quicker :lol this only lil rose took me more time than I care to announce ;)

:cheer Shell, I have sent you a PM but thought I would post the link to the pictures here so others may be helped with the info too.

Hopefully, when you look at the pictures, you will be able to zoom in on them to see more detail, to see where the patterns sit above each other.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=100_0337.jpg

This one is with the shaping.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=100_0336.jpg

th_100_0337.jpg

Here is a close up picture also.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Thanks Colleen. I have done that back piece so I can see how they look I just can't replicate it once the instructions leave me to myself. I guess for now I just find something that is fully explained in the pattern with none of this "work as for x" when x is different to the y you're currently doing.

Archived