Help with Tunisian Stitch

alibra

Question

Hello All...

I have tried the Tunisian Stitch a couple of times, my problem is that it curls on the bottom. I am not sure if I am explaining it correctly but it starts to roll up. Am I doing it to tightly or should I use a different yarn (sport weight)? Please help me as I am so wanting to learn this. Expand the learning curve...thanks!

9 answers to this question

On one of my yahoo groups someone said that after you've gotten all your loops on to start the very first row you just slip stitch through each loop one at a time. Then you start again but now this is your first row and you just do your normal stitch back. Haven't tried it yet....good luck.

As others have said, Tunisian curls... it's the nature of the beast. When it's finished, you can edge it with a single crochet, or a slip stitch, or, you can block it to get rid of the curl. It's nothing that you are doing wrong.

After you do your initial chain, If you go into the 'hump' on the back of the chain, I think that helps a little, plus it puts a nice finish to the bottom.

Joan

wow, good to hear! i just started my first tunisian project & am having the same curling issue. i'm glad to know thats just the way it is - but it doesn't stop it from being annoying. grrr.

yesterday when i bought the hook, the LYS owner was using one to make something with a shell stitch pattern & hers was not curling at all - so maybe there is hope yet!

I must have started and tore the test panel out about 10 times, growling with each time. I thought okay this can't be this difficult..it is nice to know it wasn't me and that I am not alone...gotta love this site so many knowledgeable people.

You can go to this page at my site for some hints/helps that people have used to minimize the curling:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/hints3_counting.html#curling

It's the nature of the stitch to curl but once you add a border to it, the curl should be gone.

I've read someplace online that the smaller the hook, the tighter the curl will be.

HTH!

Archived