Feet Need Socks Crochet-along

Donna

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there CraftyCarolinaMama! Happy New Year to my fellow Carolinian! Have you gotten pictures yet of your house socks??

I'm totally looking forward to seeing them. :cheer

I finished my 2nd pair of socks a couple days ago. sweet_2_b.jpg It's taken me a little bit to take a picture of it though. So if in the pic, the socks look a little worn, that's because I've been enjoying them on my feet. :blush And they do feel wonderfully soft. :manyheart

Again, the blogsite is here (because I know there may be viewing difficulties), and the post date is jan 6, 06.

I am intrigued by this CAL, but I had heard that crochet socks aren't comfortable. Someone who was putting lining into a crochet slipper actually said that walking on crochet was a "special form of torture." But I've seen testimony here about how comfortable these socks are. Does it just depend on the yarn and the stitches?

I am intrigued by this CAL, but I had heard that crochet socks aren't comfortable. Someone who was putting lining into a crochet slipper actually said that walking on crochet was a "special form of torture." But I've seen testimony here about how comfortable these socks are. Does it just depend on the yarn and the stitches?

As jpr54_ already stated, yes, it depends on the yarn and the gauge worked.

I've found that the denser the fabric, the more comfortable they are. It seems counter-intuitive -- my first pair of crochet socks weren't worked at a very tight gauge, and so there were more holes between stitches, which is what felt uncomfortable. My next pair was tighter and doesn't hurt me at all to wear.

Also, the yarn really makes a difference. Some of the sock yarns are uncomfortable before they are washed, but after washing they tend to relax a bit and become softer. I wash all socks after crocheting (and knitting) but before the first wearing (of course I try them on first).

Crochet socks work up quickly, there are so many different fun sock yarns out there, and socks are something many of us wear every day!

I am working on the site again finally so I should have a way to add yourself to it without emailing me or posting here. Soon! Work is making me :thair

MidnightandOreo, I really enjoy the feel of my crocheted socks on my feet. These days I actually sleep in a pair to keep the tootsies warm. They do feel different from the socks I buy in the store, a bit more dense, but I like the difference.

• 1 month later...

I should have emailed those of you who left comments -- I will go back through and resend a couple of emails out. The form isn't there right now and I am manually adding people.

Also, feel free to PM me!

I've also tried to join through the Feet Need socks CAL website... it says to use a form...there is no form. So I've sent e-mails to the address given. Several bounced. One didn't bounce, so I assume it got through... but no response. May we just join in here?

I've been crocheting socks from the Crocheted Socks book as well as several of the pattern listed at the the Feet Need socks CAL website.

Ginny, did you get email from me? I recall sending you email. I wonder if it landed in your spamfilter, if you have one.

There are spamtraps in the email addresses on the site -- they say "removemeplease" If you remove them, the messages get through without bouncing. This prevents spambots from getting my email account and sending me zillions of messages to the feet need socks address. :)

I am going to put the form out there again shortly -- I was going to modify it a bit but haven't had the time to, so I guess we will just suffer along with what I had! :ha

I'll let you guys know when the form is back up if you want to wait for that.

Jess - I never saw an e-mail. I do check our spam folder frequently as well. Who knows? I did miss the remove me in the mail the first few times LOL! Anyway, I'll watch for the form to appear if that's easiest for you. Meanwhile I'll just keeping working on my socks!

MidnightandOreo, I really enjoy the feel of my crocheted socks on my feet. These days I actually sleep in a pair to keep the tootsies warm. They do feel different from the socks I buy in the store, a bit more dense, but I like the difference.

Socks? Just what I need - - - SOFT ones. I have diabetes and my feet are so cold and hurt terribly at night. I sleep in regular socks but they feel like cardboard! Just thinking about softie ones make my toes drool. :hug Can someone help me join a sock making group?

Hi - I'm Ginny aka flyinghooks and I love to crochet socks! I'm working on my 3rd & 4th pairs of socks right now. The first completed pair was from "Crocheted Socks" called 'Easy Does It' shown here

http://flyinghooks.blogspot.com/2006/01/socks.html

Then I started on the 'Classic Ribbed Cable' pattern from the same book. One sock is completed. I'm working on the 2nd sock now.

http://flyinghooks.blogspot.com/2006/02/classic-ribbed-cable-sock-1.html

It had been put on hold to do the south Bay toe up sock (with a Yahoo Crochet-a-long group). These have the short-rowed heel, which I think I hate! LOL! Both of these were put on hold while I did my olympic sweater, but I just finished the south bay sock last night

http://flyinghooks.blogspot.com/2006/02/7th-fo-of-2006.html

The 4th sock I'm working on is with the Yahoo crochetedsocks group. They're doing the 'In your shoes ankle socks" from CrochetMe! I've just started these - working on the cuff ribbing so far.

Have a great crochet day!!

Thank you soooooo much for the info on the Sock CAL and addy to join. I printed out the patterns from the site and can't wait to check out some SOFT yarn to make into socks. I hope to find some really cuddy yarn and I know I will. I think HL has a sale going on right now. Thanks again,

Joyce

I joined the "Feet Need Socks Cal" thru email at the site but I also wanted to join on the Forum just to be sure I'm "in". I could not find sock yarn at either Michaels or WalMart. I bought Caron Simply Soft and I think it will work ok. I'll check out Hobby Lobby soon. :U

Archived