Dayna's Crochet Nightmare Square

slicer

Question

I have a question about this square. On Round 6 after you add the second color, it says [*ch 1, skip next 3 sc, hdc in next sc, sc in next 6 sc, hdc in next sc, ch 1, skip next 3 sc, * (3dc, ch 3, 3dc) in next sc]. I would think that you would have a total of 2hdc and 6sc equaling 8 stitches, but when looking at the picture it looks like there's a total of 6 stitches in that section.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

well, i've added it up several different ways, and six plus two still equals eight... so... perhaps there's an error in the pattern:think

when i run into something like that i try and visualize how the particular area fits into the 'big scheme of things' and what i would need to do to get there.

you might try looking at the row that will go on top of that row and see what it says, i.e., sc in hdc, dc in next 6 sc or dc in next 4 sc (of course i'm not reading your pattern here, just giving an example)

good luck

It is a typo in the pattern. Just do the (hdc, 5sc, hdc) sets and it all works out including for the next row. I'm guessing you figured that out already

Were you able to figure out the square yet? Like funkyreporter said, sometimes it helps to look ahead. I've had to do that with a Christening gown pattern, my stitches just did NOT add up, then I finally read ahead and realized MY stitches added up, the pattern had a stitch count error.

If not, do you have a link to the pattern?

Sally

Thanks everyone for the help. After writing this post I sat down with it for a bit and decided to do hdc, 5sc, hdc, like Darski suggested.

Thanks!

Were you able to figure out the square yet? Like funkyreporter said, sometimes it helps to look ahead. I've had to do that with a Christening gown pattern, my stitches just did NOT add up, then I finally read ahead and realized MY stitches added up, the pattern had a stitch count error.

If not, do you have a link to the pattern?

Sally

http://www.texasdg.net/daynascrochet/pattern.asp?id=73

Dayna has some great patterns... I just don't happen to care for black and orange. I understand why B & O but they are just as ugly for all that. i did a quick test in other colours and I rather like that square. it would be a quick do fer shure!

about adding up your stitches... I had a similar experience a while back with a doily pattern. I had gotten off track somehow but the designer had also got it wrong. so I did the math and made it come out as it should be instead of her numbers or mine (where mine was heading) :rofl

It can be helpful once in a while for us to remember that the mistake could be in the pattern and not in our work.

I am more and more willing to believe that I have got it right even if it doesn't agree with the pattern once I have checked every way that I can to see if I am in error.

Yeah, I alwys find myself changing the patterns to something easier, or that I think looks nicer. It's more fun that way.

Archived