63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

Alright, I am taking the plunge! I bought the book today!

Sign me up!!

Now, what colors to use??? I am thinking maybe a pink, country blue, and white?? Or country blue, sage, and off-white/aran?? Hmmm. I will have to figure that one out! Maybe something with purple?? Hmmm.

I better decide real quick. I want to get started!!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Square 13 - I can't seem to determine the chain sp. Is this where I chained 2 after the 2dc? If so, there is a real looseness to the sc I do after the 2ch. Does this make sense to anyone?
Yes, the chain sp is where you cained 2 after the 2 dc. If your sc is too loose, you may just need some practice ~ doing the sc after the ch 2 sp can be a bit tricky in terms of tension if you're new at it.

Sorry I'm having such a hard time "getting this". Is this the only place where I am doing the **dc etc? Also, what is the last stich of Row 2?
Don't worry, Molly. :hug Yes, you only do the (2 dc, ch2, sc) in the ch-2 spaces. You shouldn't need to worry about what the last stitch of Row 2 is because you are only crocheting in the ch-2 spaces.

I think figured out the problem you're having! :sherlock I'd almost forgotten :oops that this square has wiggly edges. You'll need to do the best you can to compensate for that when you do the edging rounds. What I did was to use some scs and some dcs on the first edging round even though the pattern does not call for that. Check out this page for a photo of a bushy stitch square with no edging.

:bang I'm ready to pull my hair out (after pulling my stitches out twice more!!) What is wrong with me?? I can't seem to locate the 2ch space each time. I hate to skip it and repeat another square, I want to do it right but its driving me nuts.:cry

:D!

Yeah, it should look kind of full of holes. :P Keep practicing and try to keep your tension even throughout. Don't make some stitches a lot tigher or looser than others. This is gonna sound like a lot of work -- but if necessary, you could mark each ch-2 space with a stitch marker so you will know where to crochet into until you get the hang of it.

I feel so stupid!

When I started this afghan, I was having such a hard time getting the size of the squares right. I don't crochet with less than a size H hook, so I was compensating by chaining fewer stitches and measuring (and ripping out and starting over) all the time.:bang This got to be tiresome, so I just decided to crochet the squares without changing the number of chains. This led to squares that were about 10 inches square. After doing 2 of the giant squares, I got fed up and just decided to do a blanket with the pretty granny square stitch with a gray border.

Well, last night I discovered that I had been using an I hook all along, not an H! So now I will try the original pattern again using the H hook and see how it turns out.

A quick post before I leave. We're going on a week-long family holiday vacation. I'll respond to questions, new members who want to join, etc. when I return. :)h

I got past square #50 last night, so it's looking like I might actually get this thing finished by Christmas. There was some sort of mental block from square #33 until now...a feeling like this thing just wasn't progressing, but I pushed through it. Now I just have to keep hacking away at it and get these last 13 squares done!

I've never assembled an afghan before...for those who have, or those who have finished this project, how much time am I looking at as a newbie to this?

I hate to admit it, but I'm skipping #53 and #54...I HATE the puff stitches! I'm just going to substitute two other patterns (I haven't decided on which two) from squares in the other colors. There is so much going on in this afghan that I don't think that anyone will ever notice. :)

Archived