Sock Yarn Mimicry

sonnets_and_stitches

Question

I just got my copy of the Spring 2007 Interweave Crochet, and the Boteh Scarf is too beautiful to pass up. The problem is I don't have sock yarn. I've never even seen sock yarn in person - as far as I know, there's none available locally. I've made the first motif in regular worsted, and I can tell it's going to be too thick and stiff to be truly beautiful.

Can I mimic sock yarn by splitting a 4-ply worsted weight into 2 plys? Will that be about the right weight?

Dreaming of boteh ~ Joy

11 answers to this question

You could split worsted. But that seems like a lot of trouble. What I do is simpler. Use size 10 or larger crochet thread in place of sock yarn. It's not as soft as sock yarn, but it works up to a similar gauge. Use size 5 thread if you want a more substantial, or warmer, scarf. Size 3 thread is similar in size to sport weight yarn and will work up even thicker.

You can make the finished scarf softer by washing it in the washer and using fabric softener. Then tumble dry it with cool air so that it won't shrink.

I hope this helps.

Mindy

The only weights I've seen is sport weight, worsted, and the yarn bulky enough to moor a boat with.

I suppose I have an alterior motive - cost-effectiveness. I'm trying to use what I have, and I have worsted. I don't mind splitting the plys, but do you think that will be close to the weight of fingering or sock yarn?

I honestly don't think it would hurt to try, especially if you have something in your stash that you have in mind. Would you be terribly disappointed if you used the split yarn and it didn't work out well? If so, then I'd say you should maybe search for some sock or fingering yarn on the internet.

Its a gorgeous scarf. You'll have to share pics when you're done :hook

I was going to say that sock yarn is everywhere or at least fingering weight yarn but now I see you want to use from your stash. You will need to use a much larger weight because you will lose the drape. Elann.com has some fingering weight yarn that you can order online. Zen Garden in the Crochetville Marketplace has sock yarn. Sock yarn is quickly becoming a very popular weight of yarn so if you find your experiment doesn't work out then you should have no problem finding sock weight yarn in your local LYS.

Rachel

you should have no problem finding sock weight yarn in your local LYS.

l

That would be great, if there was a LYS in my area!

I think I'm going to try - I've split plys before, and don't mind the experiment. I just have never handled sock weight yarn before and didn't know how close 2 plys of a 4 ply yarn would come to it.

Thanks all!

~ Joy

My LYS is 4 hours away (8 hours driving there and back) so I know how you feel but that is also the closest drug store and clothing store so I have to go there sometimes anyways (every month or two). Just try gauge swatches and see how it comes out.

Rachel

Ah, what you have is not a LYS, but a FFYS (Far-Flung Yarn Store)! :devil One good thing about having a prohibitive distance between me and a LYS: it keeps me from spending money!

Well, the yarn I had in mind is not going to split very well. I've already tried to make the Boteh Scarf with regular worsted and a G hook, but that wasn't a festival on the marina either.

I think I'm going to modify the motifs in the Boteh Scarf, and try for the same effect, but smaller, with the worsted. I don't think it will be difficult to rectify.

Thanks for everyone's advice and encouragement!

Archived