How Many Strands?

01buckler15

Question

OK. I got some cotton yarn and I want to make a pot holder to match the hand towel and dishcloth that I am making. My question is, how many strands would you use for that? I know one would not be enough. :think

Thanks in advance

5 answers to this question

Usually one strand is used if it's worsted weight. Many potholders are made by doing two squares and crocheting together (and during the joining round, doing a loop in the corner). That way, it's double thick. If you use two strands, that would probably work too, it would just be fewer stitches and rows.

I guess I didn't read the instructions far enough to see that you put two together. I was reading the instructions for oven mitts, and they called for three or four strands held together. I guess that is because you have to put your hand inside.

Thanks for your help.

I'm thinking about getting 2 hanks of the kitchen cotton and doing the potholder things in 2 strands. I want to see how they come out and you guys know how much I just loathe sewing things together.

(Once I bought my own sewing machine I put my hand needles away!!!!!)

I'm thinking about getting 2 hanks of the kitchen cotton and doing the potholder things in 2 strands. I want to see how they come out and you guys know how much I just loathe sewing things together.

(Once I bought my own sewing machine I put my hand needles away!!!!!)

:lol I'm the same way. I hate sewing things together. I always try to join as I go as much as possible! I also don't like weaving in too many ends. So I try to keep it simple.

I think instead of sewing them together I will just put an edging around it. That way it will have an edge and be sewn together.

Archived