Too tight

Cornsilk

Question

I just finished a one-skein scarf from the SnB:HH book. I'm happy with how it turned out, but here's my problem: I used a K hook, and the scarf looks like it was made with a G hook! My stitches are naturally tight, probably because I'm scared that if I stitch loose, I lose security in those stitches. Suggestions?

9 answers to this question

I don't know, relax and use a larger hook. Some people naturally crochet tight and others loose - Don't worry about it, just use whatever hook gives you the correct gauge (if you care about gauge), relax and enjoy the process.

The size of the loop should be the same as the diameter of the shaft of the crochet hook...make sure you work the stitch up onto the shaft and not just at the very end of the hook. I think it would be difficult to get a big hook into a tight stitch--your crocheting will speed up quite a bit if you let the stitches fit the hook. :) Hope that helps.

Y'know what, I have the same problem, and I just can't do anything except use bigger hooks. Seriously. I have my hands perfectly relaxed, but my stitches are always tight. It's just the way I crochet.

Other than always checking your gauge and being sure to push the hook all the way through the loop so that it stays the same size as the shaft, not the throat of the hook, I don't think there's too much you need to worry about.

The size of the loop should be the same as the diameter of the shaft of the crochet hook...make sure you work the stitch up onto the shaft and not just at the very end of the hook. I think it would be difficult to get a big hook into a tight stitch--your crocheting will speed up quite a bit if you let the stitches fit the hook. :) Hope that helps.

This is what helped me. The hook size is based on the shaft not the actual size of the end where the hook is. This means that if you are only use the hook part to make your loops to make your stitch than your stitches will be tight. Some hooks immediately go from the hook to the shaft ifyswim instead of a gradual size change and the former makes it easier to keep the gauge correct. My hands don't hurt as much either.

Rachel

Hey, thanks for the advice, all of you!

I've been testing the loosening up on a potholder, and not only are my stitches larger and more flexible, the crochet itself is going much faster since it's easier make the stitches!

I'm currently making a matching potholder because the first one worked out so well!

I had (still sometimes do crochet tightly) but what helped me was to loosen the yarn in my hand and also I had to be very conscious and go SLOW to make sure I didn't stitch too tightly. I would say go slowly and when the stitch is on your hook, loosen it up and keep your yarn loose as well.....I hope that makes sense outside of my head!

Archived