Traditional Smock in Adorable Crochet for Babies and Toddlers

magiccrochetfan

Question

Has anyone made this top?

I checked out the book from the library, and swatched the stitch pattern and did a little of the smocking. It seems to me that the smocking creates a very thick area. I used yarn a bit bigger than called for, as it was all I had, so I'd like to know if a right-sized yarn results in smocking that does not seem too thick?

I really don't know what yarn would substitute for the Paton's Baby Pure Wool 3-ply. It looks like this yarn is available in Britain, and potentially I could order it from somewhere like http://www.angelyarns.com/patons/baby.php but I would much rather use something I could find in the US, and acrylic or something pretty sturdy would be good. A 25 gram ball is 158 meters/173 yards, and the pattern calls for a US size 4 steel hook. I also found info here http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/Products/Knitting/baby+yarns/Patons+Baby+Pure+Wool.htm

If anyone has made the pattern I would love to hear how it turned out, and if anyone could help me figure out a yarn substitute I would be very grateful. Sorry my post is a little rambling!

11 answers to this question

Empress and Elvee, thank you for the input on yarn types. :flower

Googling for lace weight yarn, I can find quite a few that would be similar in size but they all seem to be more high-end yarns and are not going to be easy to wash/dry. The person I want to make it for just does not have time to hand wash and flat dry her kids' clothes. Does anyone know of a lace weight synthetic yarn?

Looking for baby fingering I find the acrylic Bernat baby fingering, which is a little bigger at 50g/286 yards. The recommended hook for this yarn is US D/3, but the pattern says steel size 4. The book has a chart of different hook sizes and it looks to me like they do mean US sz 4 steel. Is baby fingering possibly small enough to use a steel size 4 hook?? I use a 7 or 6 steel hook for size 10 thread so that is quite small.

Well, I feel I am learning more about the kinds of yarn that are out there. If nothing else I now know that crocheted fabric can be smocked, would never have thought of that on my own :hook

Thanks again for the help so far, and I would love to hear any other thoughts on yarn for this pattern.

The person I want to make it for just does not have time to hand wash and flat dry her kids' clothes.

I hear you.

I'm wondering if you could use DMC's Senso or Red Heart Lustersheen.

Maybe Microspun even though it's sized bigger than lace weight, it's still thinner than a lot of yarns.

Or a sock yarn.

Empress, I think all of those are too big...this seems to be some tiny yarn!! I do appreciate your continued interest in my problem. :) Actually, this afternoon while looking for something else, I found King Cole baby 3-ply on a Canadian site, Yarn Forward http://www.yarnforward.com/bigvaluebaby.html that seems to be about the right size, 25 grams is 163 yards, and the Patons is 25 g/173 yd, so that is really close. I think I will post in the yarn and shopping sections to see if anyone here has used this yarn or ordered from Yarn Forward. Hey, shipping is only $12-15, what the heck!:eek Hmmm, I just had a thought, maybe before I decide to order it I will email Yarn Forward or call and ask them what they think, maybe they are familiar w/ the Patons yarn.

I'm exhausted from looking for this yarn...went to my nearest LYS yesterday (about an hour away, but I was visiting a friend there) and I did buy a skein of (sort of) washable wool which the salesperson thought might work...hahaha, it is not near small enough! $6 down the drain, but i guess I can make some bootees or something. I am not sure I still WANT to make this pattern, even if I do find the stupid yarn:( But it really does look cute in the book......oh well, I will continue on my quest.

Senso is size 3 thread. It might be too small. It might work. It might work doubled.

Lustersheen is a 2 fine sport, however it's a not a lot thicker than Senso.

Personally if I ever get around to doing this sweater, I'm going to swatch those two threads/yarns before I order something.

Our 3 ply yarn here in UK is indeed a thin yarn, but it's NOT thin like actual thread. I usually have the opposite problem with yarns as I love American patterns but then have to figure out which yarn to use. I agree with the lady who recommended making a swatch! If I can help at all with British yarns, feel free to ask!

Hi Laura. Thank you for the British perspective. Do you know if the Patons Baby Pure 3 ply is really small enough to use a 2 mm hook? What do you think about substituting King Cole Big Value Baby 3 ply? thanks again!

Senso is size 3 thread. It might be too small. It might work. It might work doubled.

Lustersheen is a 2 fine sport, however it's a not a lot thicker than Senso.

Personally if I ever get around to doing this sweater, I'm going to swatch those two threads/yarns before I order something.

Since I work a lot with thread I would agree with this post. I just made a top (herehttp://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53646) with Bernat fingering weight and used an E hook. It split a lot so I can't imagine that you could use it with a 4 steel hook. But I also like to use quite a bit larger hooks than are recommended for yarns or thread so I guess you could try it. It doesn't cost much.

Hi Laura. Thank you for the British perspective. Do you know if the Patons Baby Pure 3 ply is really small enough to use a 2 mm hook? What do you think about substituting King Cole Big Value Baby 3 ply? thanks again!

Kathy, I am currently making a tiny doll's dress using a UK 4ply

yarn with a 2.5 mm hook. (4ply is thicker than 3ply). So you can definitely use a 3ply yarn with 2mm hook.

I would say you can substitute any UK 3ply baby yarn. They do vary slightly but it's so minimal you don't end up with a different size finished product. I often substitute for either a cheaper yarn or because I prefer the colours available in another range. But make sure you buy a BABY yarn, as our regular plys do come up thicker (and less soft) than the baby yarns.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Laura, thank you for the information about British yarns...it helps with figuring out the different designations for yarn sizes. I may go ahead and order the King Cole; it's a tiny bit bigger than the Patons, which would probably be okay since the size range on the smock only goes up to 10 months, so having the finished smock a bit larger would make it wearable longer.

I finally made it to Hobby Lobby and picked up a ball of Senso (was glad to find a ball of lime green on sale for $1!). It is much too big for me to be able to use a 2mm hook...I need more like a 3mm/D. Lustersheen is too big too, I had some very old skeins of that.

Thank you to everyone for your help with this question! :flower

Archived