Crochet quilt/squares

iamkc

Question

I want to use up scraps, but have a lot of different types of yarn. I thought that it would be fun to use them to make random squares, then join them with borders. The yarns, however, are very different. Is there a good way to attempt to make them roughly the same size with the same number of stitches? Is there a way to make them similar-sized with different numbers of stitches, but have them still match up? I'm not sure that I'm even making this clear. :think Ugh. Sorry. But if you can figure out what I'm saying, can you help??? THANK YOU!

5 answers to this question

If you made a bunch of two-round grannies, you could make sure you use a light weight and a heavier weight in each one so on average they would be about the same.

You could put a final "always the same" border round on each one that would let you even them all out if necessary.

You ladies are full of great ideas! THANK YOU! I guess I'll really look through what I have...I never knew that any of these were possibilities. Hehe. I emphasize that I am a complete beginner. But I'm ambitious. :)

The "border round" link isn't working and I'd really like to see it. It sounds like something I'd really like to use!!!

I don't think that I know what a yo-yoghan is...I'm going to look right now.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

ETA: Just looked up the yo-yoghan. WOW. I LOVE those! I think that I know what I'm making for my niece... :)

The "border round" link isn't working and I'd really like to see it. It sounds like something I'd really like to use!!!

that isn't a link (it's not blue) it is just an underline for emphasis.

A border round is the last round(s) on a square - especially a granny type square that is always the same colour. In the traditional crazy quilt granny ( think Roseanne's couch) that last round would be black but it can be any colour and should be the same yarn as well.

Archived