what type of yarn is best for tunisian pic ghan?

doxiesr4me

Question

You guys have been such a big help already ~ but I need to ask one more question!

You have helped me learn to change colors using tunisian (afghan) stitch. Now I need some opinions on what weight of yarn to use. My oldest daughter picked out a bratz pic for an afghan. Do I use worsted weight or a sport weight? Is one softer than the other?

Also, the graph I found doesn't give hook size. What size have you found works best?

Thanks so much!

Kim

6 answers to this question

I have used both ww and sport. If it was a big ghan then I used a ww yarn and h-j hook.

if it was a small piece I used sport and a g-h hook.

The sport is usually softer

I have used both Worsted weight and sport for my graph-ghans, I have also used a variety of hooks.

My last graph-ghan was 119 stitches wide, I used an M hook and it's approximately 36 inches wide. I used Lion Brand Pound of love Baby Yarn.

Ask yourself - How big do you want it? The smaller the hook the smaller the ghan, now if it's over 100 stitches wide the hook size plays less of a difference. So if you want it say 39 inches wide and it's 120 stitches I would use a L hook. 200 stitches a J hook.

How soft do you want it. Sports weight tends to be softer but you should also remember that it's finer as well so you will have to adjust the hook by one size.

Archived