Anyone make the new Lion's little girl's top in Microspun?

sherryzzz

Question

I finished the top using a size H hook - it was made for a friend who is adopting a 15 mo old little girl from Khazahkstan - this is a picture of my friend holding the top at the baby shower we gave for her.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/sherryzzz/photo/294928804408149200/0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Has anyone one made this Crochet Child's Top from Lion? http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70030A.html

The pattern calls for a Microspun, which is a #3 light, DK or light worsted weight - and a size K hook - and 47 chains across the back piece - for a child's size 2! :eek When I started working this up, it was large enough to fit me! And I wear a US woman's size medium! I had to go all the way down to a size F hook to get the gauge.... :think and I am an average tension crocheter (not too loose, not too tight).

How could you possibly get a child's size 2 from these instructions? Anyone else try this pattern? I think the pattern writer must be a really, really, really tight crocheter. :P

6 answers to this question

Has anyone one made this Crochet Child's Top from Lion? http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70030A.html

The pattern calls for a Microspun, which is a #3 light, DK or light worsted weight - and a size K hook - and 47 chains across the back piece - for a child's size 2! :eek When I started working this up, it was large enough to fit me! And I wear a US woman's size medium! I had to go all the way down to a size F hook to get the gauge.... :think and I am an average tension crocheter (not too loose, not too tight).

How could you possibly get a child's size 2 from these instructions? Anyone else try this pattern? I think the pattern writer must be a really, really, really tight crocheter. :P

I'm thinking she must be delusional if she thinks a 7mm hook will make a little top even with DK weight. I also find it hard to believe you will get a fabric as dense as the picture with fine yarn and a large hook

How did it go when you went down to the 3.75mm hook?

BTW, this is a lovely pattern. I would like to try it for a little cousin of mine (2nd cousin) If it works that is...

I'm thinking she must be delusional if she thinks a 7mm hook will make a little top even with DK weight. I also find it hard to believe you will get a fabric as dense as the picture with fine yarn and a large hook. How did it go when you went down to the 3.75mm hook?

That was the problem I was having - besides being too big, the fabric was very lacy and open, nowhere near as dense as shown in the pictures. After frogging the start of it 4 times !!!! I've only had time to do the first two rows with the 3.75mm hook, but it is now looking like the picture and and is working up to the stated gauge. Skimming through the instructions to the end, it seems pretty typical construction and I think it will go quickly and easily from here on.... I plan to work on it tonight during the finale of American Idol. :hook

There is a similar pattern on the Lion site done in their new organic cotton that uses a K hook too - I'm thinking that people are going to have the same problem with that pattern as well....

Hi,

I made this top (actually, I made the top that looks just like this one but is called the Lacy Child's Top and is made in the organic cotton) for my two nieces sizes 4 and 6. I used Sugar & Cream (instead of the organic cotton yarn) and the suggested hook size 'I' and they both turned out fine. I actually added a couple of extra rows in the body of the top as I thought it needed to be just a little longer, but other than that the sizes were just right.

Hi,

I made this top (actually, I made the top that looks just like this one but is called the Lacy Child's Top and is made in the organic cotton) for my two nieces sizes 4 and 6. I used Sugar & Cream (instead of the organic cotton yarn) and the suggested hook size 'I' and they both turned out fine. I actually added a couple of extra rows in the body of the top as I thought it needed to be just a little longer, but other than that the sizes were just right.

there is a major difference between a 5.5mm and a 7.mm hook. I wonder why Lion thought you would get the same gauge from both of them. Even allowing for the difference between a 3 wt and a 4 wt in the yarn, it doesn't seem likely.

Whatever...

I am also wondering why they are recycling patterns :wlol

I made this pattern when it was published as "Lacy Child's top" also. I did not use Organic Cotton, I used Peaches & Creme. It said to use an I hook, but I had to use a G hook to stay on gauge.

I think the designer must have a really tight tension. It would explain the hook size. Some people just work really tight and need to scale up the hooks.

As long as you stay on gauge, it doesn't matter what hook size you use. You can also check your work against the measured schematics.

Archived