Frogs and Barfs and Storage, oh my!

wondersheep

Question

I have a major yarn barf situation at my house.

UFOyarnbarf.jpg

Yeah, that's pretty much the it.

Anyway, a couple of questions:

1) I've got some UFOs to frog that were double-stranded. Anyone come up with a brilliant way to frog these back into their single-stranded state?

2) How in the name of all that's good and stitchy can I keep this from happening again with a budget of under ten dollars?

The purple arrow is pointing to my St. Rita medal that somehow made it into this mess. St. Rita is the patroness of women changing careers and of lost causes.

12 answers to this question

Ziploc freezer bags are good for cheap storage to keep things from getting tangled together...

I hope someone has ideas about frogging multi-stranded projects--I've had to do that before and what a tangled mess that was!

I've done it. It's slow and tedious but I just do a little at a time while whatching tv.

If you drink soda in the large liters, you can wash and dry them, cut a slit top to bottom in the side but not all the way up and down, shove the yarn in there and poke the end out the spout.

Or fudge with it until you get something you like. ;)

I've been 'frogging' from way back when (i.e. when I had the time and patience to quilt). Alas, though, I use my TV time for crocheting! I'd rather be putting something together than tearing it apart (although, if I tear it apart, I'll have nice yarn to play with, hmmm, a dilemma...)

I don't drink soda at all, but I did go out and get a bunch of Ziploc baggies and will start stuffing yarn into them tomorrow.

If I'm working with unruly or pre-used yarn, I unravel it into a large coffee can. it holds quite a bit and then I cut a hole in the cover and pull it out through there. The only problem I found is that I cut the hole with scissors which made a snagging edge that I have to avoid. I don't know if it would work better with a razor.

If you drink soda in the large liters, you can wash and dry them, cut a slit top to bottom in the side but not all the way up and down, shove the yarn in there and poke the end out the spout.

WOW, this is a GREAT idea. Even for a skein too?

If it's a plastic lid, it also might melt it!

There's Every Woman's Helper, of course: Duct Tape.

I had some thinking along the lines of using a plastic straw, but it's not coming together properly in my head yet. Give it a bit to simmer.

Those are good tips about the coffee can lid. Usually, I just position it so the snag is in the back, but my 2 1/2 year old home redecorator usually moves it around and I get an annoying tug before I realize it. I think I'll try to heat it or give it a shot with the glue gun.

Archived