Shell Stitch help Please

samijofitz

Question

I just finished the main part of a shell stitch afghan, no pattern used...I am ready for the edge border, now when I get to the shell part, how do I make it a straight edge? If I sc in each stitch it doesn't seem to match up with the bottom edge that is the beginning chain.

Any ideas?

TIA

Sami Jo :hook

3 answers to this question

I feel that the shell stitch itself makes a pretty scalloped edge, and should not be straightened out. To make the 2 ends match, I would crochet into the remaining loop of the foundation chain, and make a row of shells ( they would be facing the other way from the shells on the main body, but the edge would be scalloped). As for the two sides, either shell down them, or sc for a straight edge - this is just my two bits.

If you shell down the 2 sides, you would have scallops facing all 4 ways, so the scallops on the bottom would look part of a coherent plan.

Thank you for your tip, I was hoping to do a straight edge around the entire afghan, then weave a ribbon through an eyelet row...but maybe it just isn't possible with this stitch. :no

Sami Jo :hook

Anything's possible. If you really want a straight edge you can play around with different stitches around the border till you find a pattern that works for you.

There's such a difference in height between sc, hdc and dc that you should be able to play around with it until you get a border that's relatively straight. After that it's all repetition.

The next round of the border could either be all one st or alternating between them to get a straight straight edge.

Can you post a pic?

Archived