Right-handed teahing left-handed?

I offered to teach my friend to crochet. She came over today for her first lesson. That's when i discovered that she's left handed -and I'm not. I know it's not a big problem. My mom (left-handed) taught me to crochet right handed. Anyone have any hints that would help the process go a little smoother?

Any general teaching tips are welcome too! This is my first time teaching crochet.

I'm a lefty & have noticed we hold the hook differently than righties. I hold it kind of underhand, I'm ben told it looks uncomfortable, but we hold pens differently too soooo... I was taught facing someone also, but my lefty grammie was the one I really learned from.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread brought back memories. When I wanted to learn to crochet, my best friend who is a leftie tried to teach me, I'm a rightie. Needless to say it was not working well. I kept at it though, thinking that I was really doing something. I took it to my Nanny's with me one day. She asked me what the heck was I doing? When I told her crocheting she laughed :rofl and proceeded to show me the correct way to crochet. I've been on track ever since then and that was too long ago to count the years. I agree with the mirroring technique. It seems to be one of the easiest ways.

Don't give up. Work slowly, start simple, even the slip stitch. Consistency is more important than learning a whole lot of different stitches. I am left-handed and I learned from a rightie, guess what helped me was watching what she was doing then copying backwards. My mind just worked that way. Monkey see, monkey do. Go slow and don't get frustrated. Oh, my main problem was that I only used the back loops instead of going through the hole, so you might want to watch out for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a lefty and the way I was taught by a right handed person was that she sat across from me...I do not hold my hook underhanded, I hold it overhand. I think you hold the hook the way it feels most comfortable to you...but what a gift to be able to make something with your hands. Best gift I ever received...good luck.

Archived