Questions on the Tiramisu...

sourfleed

Question

I started the http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/TiramisuBlanket.pdf blanket and got through one skein of Caron's Simply Soft. I don't know what's wrong with me but I had to add like 10 chains to the starting row in order to make look big enough that it would even be useful for a newborn! Even with adding the 10 chains, without the border I'm only at about 26-27 inches wide. I even started over with an I hook, after the H only gave me about 24 inches width :think. Has anyone else made this blanket and had the same problem??? How wide does the edging end up? The finished blanket is supposed to be 32x32, so I'm assuming if the edging will add 2 inches to each side, i'll be in decent shape. Also, will my adding 10 chains to the beginning totally screw me up when I go to do the edging? I'm really not very good at visualizing how my "alterations" (:blush) will affect the final project.

4 answers to this question

Doing a quick read through of the edging, it appears to be a 4 stitch repeat, if you added 10 chains you will have 2 sts more on the top and bottom. You should be able to "fudge" around these when you get to the edging. I've never done this blanket, but sure looks cute!

I started with pattern, too narrow, added ten to base chain --- to narrow. Went and got an I sized hook, still to narrowand I crochet rather loosely. I'd rather have it on the large size than too small so am rethinking. I know pattern multiple so will redo it yet again. (tried three other patterns too so may just cut off amount of yarn used as it is getting a little "fuzzy" from restarts and frogging.

Caron simply Soft is a thinner yarn than most WW acrylics. How wide are you trying to make it and can you do the math now that you have a guage to work with? If not, i'm sure one or more of these lovely ladies will be able to help you out.

(My head is no good for math today)

I think you'd be okay in simply soft, I personally used a J hook. It's my favorite size and I use it on most of my stuff. If you want, you could double the simply soft, but I think that'd make the blanket a bit stiff.

The edging adds probably a good 3 inches to the blanket, but mine did not end up square by any stretch, it's a little longer than it is wide, which I think is fine, personally.

Archived