circle formula

newthingcrochet

Question

I just found the basic circle formula in a book, which I'm now realizing is common knowledge, and then I realized that this must be how you all make those nice circular blankets. So my question is, does that really work all the way out for larger blankets? And for all stitches? The one I found is shown for sc but would it work for dc too?

10 answers to this question

I don't have the answer for you, but I'd like the formula. Most every time I've made something circular, it's come with one size pattern and the verbal instructions to "just wing it" if I wanted it larger.

I don't like winging things when it could ruin the shape of the finished object! :)

I don't have the answer for you, but I'd like the formula. Most every time I've made something circular, it's come with one size pattern and the verbal instructions to "just wing it" if I wanted it larger.

I don't like winging things when it could ruin the shape of the finished object! :)

It's just that you increase each round by the number of stitches you used in the first round. Like if you did 8 sc in a ring, round 2 would be 2sc in each sc to get 16sc, rnd 3 would be sc in 1st sc, 2 sc in next sc around to get 24 and so on. Basically you would increase on the 2nd sc on rnd 3, on the 3rd sc on round 4, on the 4th sc on rnd 5 and so on, no matter how many stitches you started with. Only I found that every other row you have to start with the increase so as to stagger your increases or you end up with a hexagon or octogon or whatever if you are increasing right on your increases. Does all that make any sense? I was just wondering how that works when you're on round 50 and you're only increasing ever 49th sc.

As long as you stagger the increases, it works indefinitely - as far as I know. I've made circular shawls (up to 74" in diameter) and the circle stays circular, as long as the increases are staggered.

Best regards,

Kristin

So my question is, does that really work all the way out for larger blankets? And for all stitches? The one I found is shown for sc but would it work for dc too?

Hi newthingcrochet

Yes, the basic method (one more stitch between increases every round) works for all stitches. The only thing that changes is the number of stitches in the first round (this will also be the number of stitches to increase every round). For dc (UK treble) I'd use 12.

The taller the stitch, the more stitches you need to have in that first round. The reason is to do with the geometry of a circle :) but what it boils down to is that a taller stitch like dc makes a bigger circle than a shorter stitch such as sc, so the measurement around the outside is larger and it takes more stitches to "get around" the circle and keep it lying nice and flat.

Smiles,

I don't remember where I learned this little trick, but for those times when you're not *super* concerned with accuracy -- or if your circle's gotten really big and you're too lazy to count that high (which I am!): for the circle to lie flat, each stitch has to be straight up and down relative to the stitch below it. Or if you think about it that way, it has to be perpendicular to the edge of the row beneath it.

If your stitch slants "backwards" (towards the bit of the round you just did), you need to increase. If your stitch slants "forwards" (toward the bit of the round you've not yet gotten to), you have increased too much.

Does that make sense? Maybe I should take pictures...but I'm in a frenzy working on a birthday present for someone...

Also: increasing *more* than the number of times required for the circle to lie flat will make a ruffle; increasing *less* than the number of times for the circle to lie flat will start turning your piece into a cup or bowl shape.

HTH -- tbird

I don't remember where I learned this little trick, but for those times when you're not *super* concerned with accuracy -- or if your circle's gotten really big and you're too lazy to count that high (which I am!): for the circle to lie flat, each stitch has to be perpendicular (straight up and down) relative to the stitch below it. If your stitch slants "backwards" (towards the bit of the round you just did), you need to increase. If your stitch slants "forwards" (toward the bit of the round you've not yet gotten to), you have increased too much.

Does that make sense?

Also: increasing *more* than the number of times required for the circle to lie flat will make a ruffle; increasing *less* than the number of times for the circle to lie flat will start turning your piece into a cup or bowl shape.

HTH -- tbird

I like your explaination

Oh, and another thing (as the caffeine kicks in): if you're getting a ruffle or a cup, sometimes the easiest fix is to go down or up a hook size to see if that makes a difference.

ruffle = "too big" -> use a smaller hook

cup = "too small" -> try a larger hook

It took me several years to figure this all out...

Archived