Help with some hats!

newthingcrochet

Question

Well, my friend called me yesterday and invited me to her sons b-day party (their birthdays are 2 weeks apart so their just having one party) and I don't want to get them a toy because 1) I have no money 2) She's been complaining to me that they have too many toys already. So I thought of making them matching hats for next winter. But I still have the problem of not much money and I haven't worked with yarn much, just thread so can I make 2 hats from 1 skein of yarn? For a 1 yr old and 3 yr old BTW. I like the idea of doing it in cotton instead of say RHSS but those skeins are smaller aren't they? So basically, could I make 2 hats from 1 skein of cotton yarn that doesn't cost more than $5? Also, let me know if you think the cotton is not good for a hat for some reason. And does anyone know of a fast pattern, preferably with ear flaps, although I could probably add those myself if it didn't.

5 answers to this question

i dont think a bucket hat is too girly, as long as you make it in non girly colours....as for why not to use cotton...it can shrink. im not saying it will, but that is something to keep in mind. i dont use the smaller skeins of cotton, i use cones, so i dont know how much you can get out of a small one. you could probably pick up 2 of the smaller skeins at WM for under 5 dollars though, i think they are only a couple of dollars a piece. sorry if i wasnt much help....:)

Um, honestly not sure about making hats out of cotton... but I do like Caron Simply Soft for hats because it's a cheap acrylic that doesn't itch like Red Heart. A skein goes for about $3 at Walmart and you should be able to get two hats for small boys from one. To be on the safe side, if you got two it's still cheap enough to not stretch the budget too much (which I understand being in college with no real job haha). Post your finished hats when you're done, because I'd love to see how to wind up doing them! :)

Well, I decided to stick with winter hats, I really don't think I would put a crochet bucket hat on my little boy so wouldn't want to do some for hers. So I got 2 skeins of Caron Simply Soft and will do winter ear flap hats with those. The party's Saturday so you should be seeing pics soon!

Archived