Has Anyone Entered a State Fair?

I'm getting ready to start on a full-sized fisherman style afghan. I've always thought it might be fun to enter a crocheted blanket into my local state fair (Indiana State Fair). Is there anyone who has done this and can give me any suggestions?

I have entered our fair for the last 3 years.

Last year...I entered 30 items...I brought home around 15 Blue...First Place Ribbons...8 Second Place Ribbons...and...5 Third Place Ribbons.

I am reaaly thankful to have achieved this as the competion is great. We have many Amish here and the work they do is excellent!!!

Contact the Fair Office and request a book to be sure you are entering in the proper class.

I enter my local county fair, which I am sure is similar to a State fair, only on a smaller scale.

In afghan judging, they look at complicated the stitches are, how even your work is, how many colors you use, and other characteristics of a great project. The closest I have gotten is 2nd place. I still am trying for the Blue Ribbon this year.

It also depends on how many have entered. Some years, there are 30 or more afghans and other years, there's only a handful.

Use good quality yarn, even stitches, and hide those pesky cut ends good.

I hope I helped. And if you don't place as well as you think you should, study the winning ones and go for it next year. Good luck!

:manyheart

i won a grandprize for a thread doll that i made. we have alot of different catagories where i live. I plan to enter something this year.. maybe several things. Last year the work was on all levels beginner to expert... I hope to fit in somewhere.

All contests look for good craftmanship, use of color, texture, etc. If you use a store bought pattern, give it something extra by choosing different color combos, adding your own edging, etc. I've entered orignal afghan designs in the Herrschners(sp?) contest for more years than I can remember (10+?). I never win, but I've created many great afghans. The most recent contest was by the Rag Shop. I should hear from them soon. We don't have any fairs around here, but I'd enter if they did.

Ellie 13

Archived