What determines a bead size

MaryPat

I'm starting a beaded purse and the pattern called for 2 colors of #8 beads. I don't know much about beads, so I was relying on the fact that the container had 8° on it, which according to the store owner, meant it was #8.

I've noticed that the blue beads are considerably smaller (about half the size) than the pearl beads although they are the same designation.

I'll be returning the blue beads for a larger size, but now I'm curious...

What determines the labelling of a bead? Its weight, its diameter, something else?

Someone once told me it was the size of the hole that actually determines the size.

Though all the charts I have found say the diameter. But like you I have found a wide range of actual sizes within a certain size. Here is one chart I have found. beadcharts

Normally the size of a bead is determined by the diameter. But since there are different types of beads, it sometimes goes by the size of the hole. If I'm not mistaken, seed beads (the real little ones) sizes go by the size of the hole. If someone out there knows different, please correct me.

When I was making jewelry, I used the bigger glass beads and they went by diameter.

Nice site and thanks for the chart. The purse I'm making is turning out so nicely I may have to make matching ones for the bridesmaids. This looks like a good place to buy beads.

Someone once told me it was the size of the hole that actually determines the size.

Though all the charts I have found say the diameter. But like you I have found a wide range of actual sizes within a certain size. Here is one chart I have found. beadcharts

I buy most of my beads there. I am lucky as I live close enough to go in person. Now that is an awesome experience. It's bead heaven. It's hugemongous. The show room is about the size of a football field. and filled with beads, beads and more beads.

Glad to hear the purse is going well.... You will post pictures I hope.

Seed beads are sized entirely different than other beads.... most beads are sized according to milimeters. Such as a 4mm bead, which is 4mm in diameter. Seed beads are their own little sizing world. They are sized by aughts... the smaller then number, the bigger the bead. Size 11's are most common. Size 8's would be bigger than size 11's, but smaller than size 6. If I remember correctly, size 2 seed beads are equivalent to a 4mm bead.

This is why if you purchased size 8 seed beads and 8mm pearls, the pearls would be SO much bigger! :)

I have made jewelry (both beads and metal) for 11 years. I teach a class to crocheters and knitters about "bead stuff". :)

Very interesting. Thank you. I did buy seed beads -- size 8 seed beads -- one was a blue color; the other was a pearl color . The blues are much smaller than the pearl colored ones.

Seed beads are sized entirely different than other beads.... most beads are sized according to milimeters. Such as a 4mm bead, which is 4mm in diameter. Seed beads are their own little sizing world. They are sized by aughts... the smaller then number, the bigger the bead. Size 11's are most common. Size 8's would be bigger than size 11's, but smaller than size 6. If I remember correctly, size 2 seed beads are equivalent to a 4mm bead.

This is why if you purchased size 8 seed beads and 8mm pearls, the pearls would be SO much bigger! :)

I have made jewelry (both beads and metal) for 11 years. I teach a class to crocheters and knitters about "bead stuff". :)

The pearl coloured ones may be smaller due to their coating, or because thay are mislabeled.

Very interesting. Thank you. I did buy seed beads -- size 8 seed beads -- one was a blue color; the other was a pearl color . The blues are much smaller than the pearl colored ones.

Archived