My lament: spent too much on yarn, oh dear!

Guest zoezzoo

Guest zoezzoo

My lament over buying the luxury yarns...1st chapter

My story (and I'm going to stick to this one :bang )

My mother asked me to make her a scarf to match one of her outfits..she has totally opposite taste from mine, she loves glitz and metallics..so I also wanted to make her a nice glitzy scarf to wear during the Holidays.

anyway, I was searching on eBay, knowing that I had to stretch my Christmas money, but always ending up looking at the high-end yarns:bad

I must have had a moment of temporary insanity, because I bought a skein of Berroco Quest in platinum, a ball of Berroco Opulent in platinum, 2 balls of Mosaic FX and one ball of a furry Berroco yarn ( I'll never tell what the total was on those few skeins of yarn to make 2 scarves.) The yarns just looked so soft and yummy-

To make this even funnier, I can't knit worth a hoot, so I was up all night trying to learn the basic knit stitch. (I know I'll end up crocheting the scarves, but just in case...)

Last week, I bought 20 skeins of the furry yarn (great deal on those), but when does this madness end??

I need to make before Christmas:

4 ponchos, 3 capes, ? pairs of slippers, scarves & cowls and several wool toboggan type hats..and I spent about 1/4 of my Christmas gift budget on the Berroco scarf! I guess I'm going to have to go shopping in my stash for yarn for some of those!

I also know what I'll be frantically doing for the next month.

Oh, I have figured out a pattern for the slippers that teens are so crazy about (we used to call them Chinese slippers, basic slipper with a strap across), and the best part is that I can make a pair in about an hour. The top is furry, and my niece just loved her first pair. As soon as I get it refined (read that as: figuring out all the sizes) I'll post it here.

Haven't had time to stop and chat for a while, guess this post makes up for that!

My lament over buying the luxury yarns...1st chapter

I love to crochet, I really do, especially when I set these impossible deadlines, I :heart to crochet...

zoezzoo

(deb)

You know most of the time we could buy something much cheaper than what the yarn costs to make a project, but it's not the same:wink It's ok I go crazy sometimes too :hug at least our obssesion isn't unhealthy, well not physically anyway:wink .

I know the yarns you're talking about. I made my mom a scarf from 2 skeins of the Berroco Quest in Lacquer Red. Berroco is one of my favorite yarn companys. I adore that stuff. If I'm gonna splurge on yarn, it's either hand-painted wool or Berroco!! Here's a tip for you, the Quest yarn does NOT like to be frogged. So be very careful with it!! For your own sanity.

Side note here: I adore that stuff so much that hubby agreed to let me buy enough of it to make a COAT as a reward when I finally lose all the weight I wanted to. I'm almost half-way there but it's taken a whole year to do it. I'm gonna make <a href="http://berroco.com/203/203_edith_pv.html" target="_new">this</a>!!

Archived