A 21st century Hope Chest?

If you enjoy making baby clothes but are not thinking of having any yet you could make them and dress baby dolls with them to decorate your home. I beleive you are never to young or old for baby dolls.

another idea is crochet top towels...or crochet towels....edgings on towels or pillow cases

hope this inspires you

Joy:think

I love pillowcase edging which is funny cause I'm a pretty basic person but I never saw a pillow case that couldn't be added to in some way!

Another good easy scrap item for your chest is rugs. They can be made to any size... think bathroom, bed side, fireplace, kitchen.

And instead of a full tablecloth, you could do a table runner.

OH and you HAVE to put in your baby doll, tea set, or other special thing from when you were a kid! My special things were a china tea set (child's) and my Tammy doll both of which I still have today at 52 yrs. young!:)

My mother has started what she calls a Hopeless Chest for me. Full of stuff for her future grandbabies, which she's starting to think might not happen since I'm 33 and have no boyfriend. :)

:lol :lol :lol A HOPELESS chest, lol. Biggest smile of mine today!

I'm so glad to hear that someone else is doing this! I started mine when I was 12 and crocheting like a fiend. Mine wasn't called a Hope Chest though...just My First Place Chest. I used one of my Grandmother's old steamer trunks that they moved to and from Japan with. I made potholders, dishcloths (you need tons of those), kitchen towels, pillow case with edgings, curtain valances, chair cushions, photo album covers, placemats (that was a cute pattern and my first "original" I should write it out one of these days), a tablecloth, draftstoppers, anything and everything I could think of. I did actually use it the first time I was married. Husband didn't like all that froo-froo crochet but I loved so it stayed :hook

Good luck on your chest and just have a great time with it! :manyheart

I wouldn't call mine a Hope Chest, since marriage is not in the cards and I already live in my own place. Mine is more of a memory chest. It's an old cedar chest that belonged to my Grandma. It has a dozen or so quilt tops that Dodo (her mom) and Granny (great-grandma, her husband's mom) made. I'm a quilter, but not quite good enough yet to handquilt those things. They are for the family, when I finish them.

It also has some tableclothes and doilies Dodo tatted. I keep my afghans (three that she made me as I grew up) in it, along with some other momentos.

Since children are also not in the picture, I'm not sure who I will give the chest, and the memories to. Thankfully I'm young (28) and it won't be an issue for many many years. I just want to find someone who will appreciate them like I do.

Archived