Help! I'm Frustrated!

lucie

I am TRYING to make my first doily. I just can't seem to get the first round done right.:bang

I can't get ALL the stitches to fit into the ring. There just isn't enough room for all the stitches. If the pattern calls for working, say 12 3-dc clusters into the ring, I only have room for maybe 10. Then everything gets too crowded and the last clusters overlap and look very bad.:angry

What am I doing wrong? Should I use add more chs to the foundation row than the pattern calls for?

Is the first round the most frustrating for most people or is it just me? What am I doing wrong?:confused

First round can be rather frustrating as you're building the foundation on which all those other lovely stitches will be based. You probably don't want to put extra chains to begin with because you don't want a larger hole than necessary in the center of your doily

Do you know how to do a pull center where you wrap the thread around your finger and then stitch into the circle you've created? I am looking through my books to try to find where that technique is described so I can better explain it - so far, no luck. The benefit of this is that it's a larger to begin with so you can fit all the stitches in, but you can pull it tight once you're done.

Okay. Found an explanation in a crochet book.

Start by making a circle with about six inches of the tail of the yarn around your index finger, holding where the yarn 'crosses over' between you'r thumb and middle finger. Take the hook and insert it into the center of the loop and pull the working strand through to the front. Now make the number of stitches you need to make (12 in your case) and when you're done you just pull the tail and watch the hole disappear!

There is a fuller explanation on page 52 of the book Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker!

Good luck!:manyheart

I tried that already. It's how I make rounds using yarn. I've started the doily 3 times that way and each time the tail thread broke while I was trying to tighten the ring after finishing the stitches. I'm using #10 mercerized cotton thread.

Anymore thoughts?

That is an awful lot of clusters for a 1st rnd of a doily. Thats 36 stitches into the 1st rnd if that is how it reads. What pattern are you using? Do you have a link or can you tell me the name of the book you have gotten this pattern from?

I can see where you would be fustrated by that. It isn't the thread. How many chains does it call for to form a ring from?

Could you post the directions for the 1st rnd?

Hi Kathy, Here is it...

It's from Leisure Arts Little Books Delightful Doilies.

Lacy Delight

I'm using a size 5 (1.9mm) hook

To work 2-dc cluster: YO, insert hook in ring, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops on hook; repeat from * once more, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook.

To work 3-dc cluster: TO, insert hook in ring, YO and pull up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops on hook; repeat from * 2 times more, YO and draw through all 4 loops on hook.

Ch 10; join with slip st to form a ring.

Rnd 1: ch 2, work 2-dc Cluster, ch 3, place marker around ch-3 just made for st placement, (work 3-dc Cluster, ch 3) 11 times; join with slip st to top of first 2-dc Cluster: 12 ch-3 sps.

It's just getting bunched up and ugly with the last few 3-cd clusters.

Lucie

With a ch 10 this is doable. I just grabbed a hook and some thread and did this rnd. I could post pictures if you would like that shows the rnd done ?

Hints

1. Be sure you chain is not to tight.

2. As you do a couple cluster stitches, gently push them on the ring back torwards the beginning of the rnd.This will give you more space for all your clusters. I did this several times as I was working this rnd and I had all of them fit and lay flat.

3. you will have a open ring in the middle of your doily. There is no way to draw a ch 10 ring like that up tight without it buckling.

Hope this helps you out.

Hello Kathy!

:yay It worked! I took your advise and pushed each cluster as I worked it. That gave me enough room for all the clusters in the ring. :clap I even made it through rnd 2. Then I looked at rnd 3 and my eyes crossed... I think I'm going to look for an easier pattern for my first doily. I need an early success.:D Thanks so much for your help.:hug At least now I think I'm on the right track. When the ring seems to be too small for all the stitches I'll just push them together a bit.

Lucie

Hello Kathy!

:yay It worked! I took your advise and pushed each cluster as I worked it. That gave me enough room for all the clusters in the ring. :clap I even made it through rnd 2. Then I looked at rnd 3 and my eyes crossed... I think I'm going to look for an easier pattern for my first doily. I need an early success.:D Thanks so much for your help.:hug At least now I think I'm on the right track. When the ring seems to be too small for all the stitches I'll just push them together a bit.

Lucie

Glad I was able to help, Yeah shifting things a bit is perfectly acceptable and necessary at times.

You are right though if your eyes are cross looking at what they are telling you to do, you are probably better off looking for a simpler design to start with. This design will wait until your skills improve. I agree a early sucess is very important on any new endeavor.

Just remember when you do happen to get stuck, someone here will help you over the hump.

Archived