Hindsight's 20/20?

I say just make the blanket then be ready for any response that you may get. To me, it's more about the gifting than about the reaction. If I know in my heart that I made the gift with alot of care and love, the receiver misses out if the value of something handmade is neglected. It could always be very well received. You don't never know if you don't ever try. And if the person doesn't like the gift, just make it a point not to gift for them again.

Baby blankets are the only thing I make for people that may not appreciate my work. They don't take too long to make. I always couple it with a gift off the registry too, just in case they think I am being cheap. I use cheap yarn mostly because I want them to really use them and not just for decoration. I always include washing directions so they aren't afraid to use them. I have to say that I have a friend that is thrilled that I am making one for her and it is easier for me to work on than when I am not sure of the response.

I once made a cross stitch piece for my mother. A few months later I asked her to find it so I could take a picture of it. She has yet to find it to this day. She is at the bottom of my decorative piece giving pile. However, I did make her a blanket recently that folds into a bag and she uses it all the time. For her practical means more than homemade.

Think about your gift giving feelings before giving the gift. I would rather someone use my gift, whereas other responses seem to point towards preferring for the gift to be treasured. Then whip something up that will satisfy your need, and couple it with another gift just in case.

Laura

It can be very frustrating and heart breaking when gifts aren't appreciated! But I must share with you that the people I have given gifts to that I thought would probably just throw it in the closet...are the most appreciative! I worked with a girl several years ago who I wasn't really close too but made her something for her wedding. I ran into her not too long ago and she told me that it is still on display...I was floored! This has happened several times to me.

So...my advice is to do what your heart says to do. If the idea has crossed your mind, there must be a reason that the idea came to you. Who knows, it might just be an heirloom! :hug

Archived