Looking for a Newborn-sized Doll

missamorphosis

This may be a crazy question--and it's actually indirectly crochet-related. I'm looking for a newborn-sized doll. I want to crochet baby clothes, and I'd like to have a doll to dress up in them for display. I really prefer an antique or vintage doll, but until I find the exact one that I want, I was going to look for a modern day one. Any ideas where I can find one? I looked at Wal-mart's toy aisle and found one, but wasn't sure it was really the size I wanted. And honestly, I don't really want a Wal-mart cheapie doll. (I'm not a big fan of that store.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Missamorphosis: The doll I have they carry in Walmart, but also in Toys'R'Us, as well as Babies'r'us. It's La Bebe nursery, and I forget who it's made by--though it's a common manufacturer. It's the least expensive at Wally world, and I paid about $20 for mine at TRU. When I got it home I was so excited because she smells like roses! (I don't get to use her very often any more because my dd has claimed her :blush) The doll is almost the exact measurements that my dd was when she was born: 19.5" long (Teggy was 19") with a 15" head (Teggy's was only 13"). Regular newborn-sized clothing fits the doll, so it's an excellent model to use. the foot size is also accurate, and I used mine to display booties I've designed. Check out my blog for, I think, October 2006 to see pics of the doll wearing a christening dress. If you look on eBay, there are "Baby Reborns" that folks have 'redone' to make them look more real, and they use these dolls for that very purpose. I hope this helps!!

Hi, the dolls at walmart are by Berenguer and are wonderful dolls, that come with a so many different expressions to pick from and different sizes. If you want a more expensive doll, there's always Apple Valley babies and Lee Middleton babies. Also, my Mom just gave me for my birthday a newborn baby boy doll from Ashton Drake (be prepared to drool if you go to their website!). Good luck in finding the right one or two or three and hope you'll show us!.......................Lise

Archived