New to felting, want to make an iBook Cozy

xSHYxVIOLETx

Hi everyone!

I'm getting a 12" iBook and instead of buying a case for it like any normal person, I'm going to crochet one and felt it (as suggested on another thread...thanks!). I know very little about felting, but here's a few things I've picked up (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong):

1) Crochet the piece bigger than the actual desired size

2) Use 100 percent wool, or as close to 100 percent as possible

...and that's all I know.

My plan is to crochet two pieces using SWS yarn (I read mixed opinions on this one!) and sew them together...should I sew, then felt, or felt, then sew? How do I go about felting the yarn? Ahhhh!

Thanks in advance. :)

Lindsey

Well it really depends on what you want to do. You can just crochet the pieces and then sew them together after felting. This is helpful if you really want the finished product to look "PERFECT" meaning that you can actually cut the finished fabric (the wool will not unravel once felted) to perfect size and stitch it up.

OR.....

you can create the whole bag then felt it. Remember that it will need to be streatched and blocked. The only problem I have had with whole construction felting is that sometimes an area wants to shrink more than others but alot of pulling and streatching while the item is wet usually pulls it right into shape. This really creates a bery solid piece. Since you would be using the wool to construct any seams will also felt so once blocked it is very much a continuous molded piece

I've done both. Both work fine but remember the felt fabric is going to be very thick. I had to whip-stitch and blanket stitch my item together by hand. My sewing machine would never have been able to handle the bulk.

Just be aware that the SWS yarn (in my experience) felts up much more quickly and shrinks more, than other wool yarns I have used. It also makes a very thick, cushy fabric that should be great as an ibook cover. I would say to crochet it almost twice as wide as you want it to be. Set your machine (or pull it out of the machine) for only five minutes... you can always send it through again, but you can't un-shrink it.

Good luck... let us know how it goes. I have an iBook but have a regular bought sleeve for it.

Joan

One other thing you could do is to crochet one long rectangle... make it about two times as wide and about 1/3 longer than needed. Felt the rectangle, then fold in half and just sew the two side seams. If the felted rectangle is too large, you can trim it with scissors. Or, if you make it extra long, you could sew it so that there is a flap that goes over the top.

Because the sleeve needs to fit I would not sew it until it's felted.

Joan

What irony... I got on here to see if there were any posts about felted laptop cases! I have a MacBook and am thinking of making a sleeve and a bigger case to carry it and other extra stuff too. I hate my plain black bag and not having much luck finding anything very pretty and unique, so thought I'd make something for myself! Good luck and maybe we'll all inspire one another with good ideas!

Archived