the happy hooker??

i'm a newbie and i've noticed that lots of you refer to this book....i checked it out on amazon.com and there's 2 of them....which one and is it a great book for beginners? also, are there actually patterns in there?

I would say that it definitely is a good book for beginners. I retaught myself how to crochet using this book. I had learned as a preteen, and then hadn't crocheted for about 15 or more years. Around Christmas 2006, I decided I wanted to learn again. I really didn't remember anything. So I picked up the book, and taught myself how to do all of the basic stitches, and some basic shaping. Now, I am hooked :hook

The other thing that's nice about the book is that it has a lot of cool patterns so you can find easy, neat things to make with your new skills.

One thing you can do, if you're not sure if it's the right book for you, is see if your local library has a copy. I took it out from the library, and liked it so much that before it was even due, I had ordered my own copy from Amazon.

Hope this helps!

Yes, the book is a good one. Lots of facts and easy to read through and follow.

I have to say that I don't like the patterns in the book (which make up the bulk of the pages). But that's a personal preference as I don't like her designs very much. I also had a horrible time with the bunny slippers pattern. There were sooooo many mistakes that I ended up remaking the same pair 3 or 4 times before I got it right. I'm hoping to post my now new (because I had to make so many adjustments) pattern on my blog.

Yes, the book is a good one. Lots of facts and easy to read through and follow.

I have to say that I don't like the patterns in the book (which make up the bulk of the pages). But that's a personal preference as I don't like her designs very much. I also had a horrible time with the bunny slippers pattern. There were sooooo many mistakes that I ended up remaking the same pair 3 or 4 times before I got it right. I'm hoping to post my now new (because I had to make so many adjustments) pattern on my blog.

I know in the original printing of the book, there were a lot of errors, including in those slippers. They have put out a list of at least some corrections, found here http://www.bust.com/knithappens/snbhh-errata.pdf, and I found that in my copy (which must be a subsequent printing since it is a soft cover) they have worked these corrections into the book.

i love the SNB The Happy Hooker despite all of the errors in it. The patterns are very modern and funky and easy to do. Plus, about the first 1/2 of the book explains the basics of crochet (each and every stitch) and even explains how to do decorative stitches (i.e. spike stitch).

Another book that I just got not to long ago is the book called "Not Your Mama's Crochet" found at Joann's. It is sorda similar to The Happy Hooker in the sense that it teaches you how to crochet. It even has a pattern to make a purse out of plastic bags. I would have to say that The Happy Hooker and Not Your Mama's Crochet are my 2 fave books I have right now.

Archived