Heart-Felt -- a felted bag created with Love

cinbead

Hi all,

So I belong to the Toronto Bead Society and every year there is a bag o beads challenge. Everyone gets the same beads and has to create something, bring it to the next meeting and play show and tell. I wanted to combine my latest obsession, crochet and felting, with my love of beading. When I saw the beads were Valentine's Day themed, I got to work. My inspiration for this purse, beyond the beads, is Native beadwork bags and the pin cushions created by convalescing WW1 soldiers that were heart shaped and beaded. The bag is lined with red satin and tacked down with an embroidered leaf pattern white ribbon. Your comments are most welcome. BTW -- I didn't felt this more than once through the machine as I liked the discernible line pattern going across the heart.

Since I don't seem to be able to post attachments or photos here, I include a link to my sister's blog, where she has posted the photos. http://debeast.vox.com/library/post/its-a-shame-but-its-friday.html

You can also see, on my sister's blog, the pink and purple cat bed I crocheted and felted from Chrome Kitty's pattern and instructions. A second washing helped it a lot, but the sides are still a bit floppy. As you can see, the cats don't seem to care.

I made the same cat bed for my cat in gray and blue and it came out floppy as well. I feel better knowing you had the same problem. Like your cats, mine doesn't care either. He sleeps in it all the time so I guess he's happy too.

Wendyb532

The purse is beautiful too!

The purse got a lot of positive reaction last night. It will be on display, with other Bead Society members' work, at the Toronto Bead Oasis Show in March. I will definitely felt some other shapes and try my hand at different bead embellishments now.

Archived