Help me hide the bodies!

MindyJedi

I had an idea to make a tablecloth out of white worsted-weight cotton and use a doily pattern. I had seven rounds completed when my daughter and husband spilled Sangria into the bag holding the project. They blamed it on each other, on the dog, on me for getting up out of my chair! But they did buy me more yarn in white, and my husband suggested I go ahead and stain the rest of the original yarn because the color was kinda nice. He suggested this to keep me from killing him! :eek

Will staining yarn with wine work, or will it damage the fibers, wash out, or act weird in any other way? Or should I go ahead and kill them? :devil

I know where to bury the bodies, but don't tell anyone. LOL

Bless your heart. I can understand wanting to murder them.

My suggestion would be to make a small swatch that you can stain, wash, etc. and see what happens before you proceed with the rest of the project.

Look on the bright side... it was only seven rounds... you could have been a lot further along than that...

You could just finish it with the accident intact and then dye it a totally different color... I believe wine will set if you let it... Heck, if Kool-Aid can, I'm sure this will... You could probably bleach most of it out before you dye if it is cotton... Cotton is tuff stuff... It'll hold up ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have no remedy for the problem....just a story.

Last year I was in the shawl exchange. I made a verigated shawl and my girls thought it was kind of wild. I decided to make a second one out of aran and send both to my exchange buddy. I was at my grandsons baseball game and it was raining so I was elected to stay in the van with my 3 month old granddaughter. She was sleeping in her car seat, woke up and as I picked her up she barfed in my yarn bag that had the finished shawl and the "work in progress". :eek My daughters thought it was hilarious and my buddy got sparkling clean shawls.

I know it's not the same as what happened to you but it just reminded me of my incident.

EEEWW! Terrijo, now I have to poke out my mind's eye! That is too funny. Now what happened to me doesn't seem all that bad.

But, I decided to go ahead and try to "wine" the rest of the yarn. I'm using it to make the Cupcake shirt from The Happy Hooker book. I'll dye the shirt itself and see what happens.

Wish me luck!

Archived