felting?

Shaddy2

Are there some books out there with felting info in them, or does one just plunge in and do the deed?

Is this done before sizing the garment, or slippers, or purse, or is it done after, would this affect the sizing?

I would think so, but then, I have never done this, and am most interested in finding someone to talk to about it.

Any replies, greatly appreciated. Can PM me if you would?

I agree that there is tons of info in the felting thread that would be helpful.

Are there some books out there with felting info in them, or does one just plunge in and do the deed?

Basically, yes... just plunge in :) It's best to begin with a project that doesn't have to be a specific size, like wearables. Felted bags are very popular. In general keep in mind that felting shrinks crocheted objects more width wise than length wise (seems to be opposite for knitting). So, you need to make the item much wider than you want it to be. Also, felting is not an exact science. Different wools felt differently... some very quickly, some need several go arounds in a washing machine to felt. The water temperature in your washer also makes a big difference.

Here are some patterns for felting to get you started:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/felted_items.php

Have fun!

Joan

There's a book by Jane Davis called Felted Crochet. I learned a lot about felting by researching it on the internet, but I learned some things from this book that I had not read. It was very helpful.

Archived