Wavy Gravy Rasta "Tam" Snood (It's a hat)

nucki

I found the pattern for this right here on Crochetville. It's in the original patterns section.

th_WavyGravySnoodFront04.jpg th_WavyGravySnoodBack.jpg I was desperate for something to hide this monstrosity that I refer to as my hair. You know the expression "bad hair day"? Well, that's me. Only EVERY day is a bad hair day. I haven't had a GOOD hair day since I was... oh, I dunno.... EIGHT or so?! The best I can hope for is an "okay" hair day. Most of the time, if I get a "kinda-sorta-almost-okay" hair day I'm doing good. And I'm sick and tired of fighting with my hair for what seems like an eternity only to come out still looking like somebody put a brillo pad on my head - only they'd scrubbed a poodle with it first.

So I tried making Dot's Owata Hat. It looked great in the pic, and I'm looking at that thing thinking "I could make a bunch, in a bunch of different colors, so it'll match anything I want to wear." So I sit here on the couch for something like seven hours - off and on - making this thing, and guess what?

th_OwataHatFront.jpg It's too bloody small!!!!!:angry

Can you imagine how frustrated I was when I realized that I'd gone through all of that for NOTHING?!:(

That's when I thought about making the snood. Heck... I woulda just jumped right in on it, but it was already past 2 a.m. ... and I thought maybe - just maaaaaybe - I oughta get some sleep first. :P So I started it after breakfast this morning and I'm wearing it now.

Hopefully I won't look too much like a freak when I take the kids to school in the morning. :blush

That's what family is for, right? To catch your "tester projects"? :lol

:lol

That's the thing, though... as frustrated as I was that the thing was too small, the kids LOVE it. All 3 of my younger ones (the oldest doesn't like anything on her head at all - she even hates headbands) were fighting over it yesterday. It fits any one of them, so either I'm going to have to make more, or they're going to have to work out a schedule so that they can all share.:lol

Well it sure is cute. Maybe you could try again with another yarn or needle? I see that Dot had a few corrections in her "comment" section below the actual pattern. Either way it still looks great!

Well shpank you very munch! ;)

Unfortunately I can't really find another weight of yarn out here... it seems everything is "double knitting" - which is closer to sport weight than worsted. If I used a bigger hook, it would look too "holey." The one thing I haven't tried - yet, but might at a later date - is to use two strands instead of one. I don't know that it'll make a difference, but if it doesn't, I can always let the kids fight over that one too!!!:lol

Couldn't you add a couple more rows on the crown following the increase pattern? Is the snood pattern at Dot's? I saw the cutest headband/snood pattern in a book from the library. I forgot to copy it before returning the book so I'll have to borrow the book again.

Archived